BBR ND Turbo - Me Likely

http://www.bbrgti.com/news/bbr-launches-stunning-mazda-mx-5-miata-nd-stage-1-turbo-upgrade/

Yes please

Yes. But is the transmission up to it? There have been rumours of failures of the gearbox on 2.0 as it was originally designed for the 1.5. God knows how it is going to cope with that much torque/power. 

Yup, gearbox durability would be my concern too.

FIAT 124 use the NC gearbox…

Geez, don’t be so conservative, 250bhp almost, seriously?

1. Do you actually know or have seen a gearbox fail? Especially the latest iteration?

2. Get an extended waranty, not sure if BBR’s covers transmission?

3. Things break, get over it. If you’re concerned about stuff like that then this isn’t for you.

The point is this takes the ND to the next level, without a silly V8 in sight

Embrace the opportunity if you want too.

Roddison’s race car ate gearboxes on a regular basis, I am sure that included the later box.

Up to chassis no 480 (UK) was the weaker box

I agree. It does sound great but I am not being conservative. Your comments are a little patronising. I like the idea of more power but not at the expense of having to replace gearboxes etc. Thing is, the ND was designed to be as light as possible, which means it will have been designed to cope with a certain amount of torque/power with a certain amount of margin. However a 100% increase in torque is a hell of a lot. Maybe the NC gearbox has more of a reserve. If I were to go for the conversion I would also want the warranty to cover the transmission or if possible modify the gearbox. If BBR are confident the transmission does not require beefing up then they should have no hesitation in providing a warranty for it, if requested. Who wouldn’t be concerned. I wish I could be so flippant about the potential costs of replacing gearboxes.

Sorry, I didn’t mean to belittle you and sound superior. 

I don’t see the relationship with low weight and a ceiling on horsepower, take a look at Caterhams/Radicals etc. I completely agree that this is a serious BHP uplift, the transmission is only one area to think about. My general point is, how great this finished product might be. If it could be covered by a full warranty then wow.

I expect it will be @ Ashton Court on Sunday to see in the flesh.

i think the term ‘race car’ deferentiates this from a road car. However, the gearbox maybe a weak point in the drivetrain on reading the Internet.

Apology graciously accepted. The turbo does look a fantastic bit of kit. I was not saying there is a ceiling on low weight and a ceiling on torque/horsepower but one of the areas Mazda reduced the weight of the overall car was to reduce the weight of the transmission which may limit its torque capacity (smaller gears, bearings etc). Then there are the brakes! Anyway as pure power lift in its own right it looks excellent and as you say far better than a V8 conversion. 

If anyone’s got any concerns, Neil will be at Ashton court on Sunday just ask him,  perhaps he will guarantee the gearbox  

I’d get it done if I had an ND.

As it stands, I’m more than happy with my NC Stage One turbo conversion that Neil and co. carried out for me nearly 18 months ago 

Hi Richard, how do I find out what my chassis number is? My car was delivered in February 16 so it is quite an early one.

https://www.miata.net/garage/tsb/05_007-16.pdf

Ouch! My car does not exhibit any of these symptoms. I notice that this is a Mazda North America bulletin, is this just as applicable to UK cars? The bulletin also states “This warranty information applies only to verified customer complaints on vehicles eligible for warranty repair.” Does this mean that if the symptoms start after the 3 year warranty then Mazda will not replace the gearbox even though it has a known weakness? I think that I need to contact Mazda to see what the situation is!

I don’t think it’s anything to worry about. There have been a small number of gearbox failures on 2.0l ND’s, mainly reported in the US. These have generally been earlier cars, with build dates prior to September 2016. A revised gearbox was then fitted to all new ND’s, not sure when from exactly. A number of the failures reported were from owners who autocross their cars, popular in the states right now. Mazda has been replacing failed gearboxes, and also ones showing signs of premature wear, noisy or difficult to select gears. 

I am unaware of any failures on the 1.5l models, although it is the same gearbox used in both. Your drivetrain and gearbox are covered by the 3 year warranty in the UK. It is possible that a recall may be instigated if this becomes a bigger problem. I for one am not worried about it. If you notice any different noises or difficulty in selecting a gear (when it’s warm), then take it to you dealer, they should be aware of the issue via a Service bulletin.

Thanks for the reassurance Paddyman. My car was delivered in Feb 2016. I would have thought if the early boxes have a known weakness which was designed out so soon after the cars introduction, Mazda would have to replace failed ones whether still within warranty or not as the early boxes could be deemed as not fit for purpose. I don’t autocross my car but I used to compete in autotests, which I agree would put considerable strain on 1st and 2nd gears! Cheers. 

On the NC the map is knobble in 1st and 2nd. The re map removes this and the difference is very noticeable. If the same is applied to the ND with a boost in BHP then the strain on 1st and 2nd will be increased.

As for “designed out so soon” it took them a year of production before the box was changed 6 months ago