BBR Stage one Turbo on Standard Clutch

Hey all,

I had the BBR stage one turbo kit fitted to my 06 NC 2.0 with 50K fitted a few weeks ago, a full review will be coming soon once ive racked up a few more miles…

My question is to the Stage One owners is how is the standard clutch holding up for you, I know the kit is ltd on torque due to the standard clutch but it still seems ALOT to ask of it…

Is it a ticking time bomb ???

I don’t do launch’s or wheelspins before anyone asks

Kind Regards Dave

I still have the original clutch in my stage 1, which was carried out just over a year ago. I don’t cover many miles as it a second car, but those that I undertake are ‘spirited’…

I was advised not to apply full throttle in 5th/6th gear at low revs as this might be a problem for the clutch, advice that I have loosely followed.

All ok so far 

that’s good to hear… mines a 2nd car but I plan on a euro trip next year…

I too like to enjoy the power ( after all if you’ve got it etc lol )

Hi Dave,

I too am having the BBR stage 1 Turbo, but on a 1.8 instead of a 2.0l.

This will not require a clutch upgrade and I don’t see it as anything like a ticking time bomb!

The clutch has a simple job to do and if it is rated as strong enough to cope with the additional torque of the stage 1 conversion then it is strong enough - with room to spare. There will be a factor of safety, it won’t be marginal, just working closer to its design limit

If it weren’t strong enough, then it would only slip. And it will only slip due to the pressure plate not exerting enough gripping force on the friction plate. 

I won’t worry, If my clutch requires replacement at any point due to wear, I’ll go for the uprated one along with the stage 2 upgrade! You know it makes sense!

No problems with mine (2.0 stage 1) after 12 months of pretty spirited driving. On 46.5k now, and it has never slipped despite some fairly brutal starts.

Great to hear… what year is yours ???

Its a 2011. I’m currently saving the pennies for a Stage 2 upgrade at some point in the coming year, although I’m still undecided about whether or not I can be bothered to do the work myself, having done the Stage 1 on my drive over the Christmas break last year. I may well just stump up for BBR to do it.

Long term plan is to go down the LS-X V8 route, but that’s a few years away.

Just to add, I have the BBR / ACT uprated clutch as part of my stage 2 turbo conversion and it’s the heaviest most awkward clutch I’ve had to drive with since my old Clio 16v  Way more snatchy than the organic exedy items I had in my mr2 and Impreza previously.

Absolute nightmare in traffic. Well worth it though   

Having had two BBR Turbos the first with the uprated Exedy clutch used to cook in traffic, the ACT although equally as heavy is a much friendlier beast all round. The original clutch on a stage 1 worked well.

Good to hear, How long was you on stage one with the standard clutch ???