BBR 'super 200', Anyone Out There Done This Conversion?

I know of one lad who has had the 200 conversion carried out and he is delighted with the car, transformed from the standard 158bhp. I’ve e mailed him re this post so hopefully he will be along and give an objective view.

Cost cost cost!!! The thing is, if you want good reliable bhp then you will have to pay the bucks, slapping on some aftermarket cold air intake and a ‘custom’ built exhaust system built out of a parts bin just doesn’t cut it and in the main will be likely to increase noise and reduce power and torque.

What people fail to take into account is the actual cost of R&D to even get the prototypes on the table, then there is manufacturing costs, marketing costs and of course if you can’t do the installation yourself, you want to find a reliable source who can install to a high standard, one that won’t give you issues a few hundred miles down the road.

I purchased the BBR supercharger kit, manifold and full exhaust system for my 2011 Sport Black and installed it at home in April 2013. I did hit a few snags along the way but these were more associated with my unfamiliarity with the kit and the MZR engine itself, a number of calls to BBR during the installation process were extremely helpful and we quickly got past the minor snags. The car started first turn of the key, the ECU was duly re-programmed, a number of logs taken and sent back to BBR for analysis to ensure that the car was doing as it should, it was.

Since then I have racked up some 12,000 trouble free miles including 4000 miles in France in September this year, the car was a dream to drive and returned an average of 37mpg, peaking at 44mpg on one stint, quite remarkable considering it wasn’t being driven ‘Driving Miss Daisy’ style and was fully laden most of the time.

Whilst the above may not be of any direct use in relation to the 200 conversion, it is simply posted to demonstrate that BBR produce a very well developed and refined product. Again I hear ‘but what about the cost?’ and yes, that’s a valid point it was a very expensive conversion even doing the installation myself - but and it is a big but, I now have an MX5 that produces some 260bhp, that’s 100bhp over stock, the performance is blistering and shames many more exotic cars. This is something that will never be achieved by purchasing a number of disparate bolt on components and trying to get this level of performance for a few hundred quid.

Tuning to these levels is an expensive game, end of!! If you want the performance then you simply have to pay the going rates, there are no shortcuts that will give consistent and reliable results. The key phrase here is value for money. I certainly shall never be spending this amount of cash on tuning a car again, it was a one of and a result of having been retired due to ill health, I’m still a relatively young man and whilst my employers may well have considered my health issues such that they no longer required my services, there is nothing woring with the grey matter and it still needs stimulated, the physical aspects, well, the beauty of beeing forced ito retirement is that there is never any rush to finish things, I can pace as my physical imparements allow.

As a retired Engineer and latterly Procurement Officer, I have seen people attempt to take shortcuts on projects, save £150k here on a project and it looks great when the project is complete and comes in under budget.  However, when it breaks down two weeks after it has been commissioned and costs the business £1m or more in lost revenue while repairs or a redesign is implemented, it suddenly doesn’t look so clever, the project Engineer suddely goes from hero to zero.

I must say the Supercharger option sounds very appealing. I quite fancy that one myself. The big question for me is supercharger or turbo? I seem to be erring on the side of the supercharger.

Ok, at the risk of pushing the topic a little further from the Super 200 conversion (sorry…), what in real terms are the differences of a BBR supercharger and turbo, and which is better and why?

There’s very little lag on the turbo, and it the power comes in very smoothly, so the usual “why a supercharger is better than a turbo” arguments probably don’t mean much.

You would need to drive both to see.  It’ll probably come down to personal preference.  Like beer vs lager or red vs white wine.

Thought I should update the post. Took the car to Neil in November for the Turbo upgrade & Koni’s. Yes, it was expensive but I intend to keep the car a long while and knew that I wouldn’t be satisfied with the 200 conversion because it wouldn’t have enough power and there’s not much more you can do in its aspirated state regarding upgrading it later. 

I Haven’t had much opportunity to drive it as December is my busiest period but managed to take the wife out yesterday for an afternoon drive with the promise of lunch in-between…

Very happy with the results. The suspension is fantastic and a no brainer. I would recommend this upgrade to everyone, regardless of what you want from the engine. The car corners like it’s on rails but is also really compliant, soaks up all the bumps really well. I also noticed that at motorway speeds, it’s so stable, really planted, this I found confidence inspiring.

The Turbo installation feels factory fit and drives like a non modified car up to around 3k but then it really shows it’s bark all the way up the rev range. If I am honest, I would like a bit more go a bit lower down the rev range.  Really need to get out more to explore its limits but I was really impressed overall, the wife too. I will be going back to Neil for Stage 2, I can’t stand the feeling that there’s around another 40 BHP unleash with the new clutch and exhaust coupled with Neil’s expertise in tuning. This I have to have!

I will add a few photos when I can, looks amazing in the green colour, spent many an hour deliberating whether I could live with that colour…

I’m sure you’ve made the right decision there. I think the extra torque you get with the forced induction makes all the difference.

How tractable is it in 3rd gear at low speedS as that is where I would like more oomph. My Octavia VRS will trundle about in third at low speed at about 2000 rpm with no problem and then pick up speed without faltering. I’d like that in the 5.

Hi,

Yes, I did, at cost to my bank account but it was worth it.

I have to say that it’s a bit flat until you hit 3000 rpm but then it really picks up hard but linear.  I will have to ask Neil at BBR if the stage II can give me a bit more lower down.

I suppose I disagree slightly,I think it’s a quickish car if you change up at 3000 rpm however from that to the red line it’s bloody quick. So I quite like the fact that you can still pootle around in it very easily and it doesn’t complain, in fact looking at my recent power runs for the datalogs I’ve been collecting it picks up very nicely in 3rd gear from 2k onwards.

Hiya,  Do you have the BBR Sports Exhaust?

You may well be right, I haven’t had the opportunity to drive it as much as I want since the conversion 2 months ago, these were my initial impressions (on the limited mileage) that it felt a bit flat below 3K & yes, it is very tame and easy below but I would like the power to come in a bit earlier. I intend to do the Stage II and exhaust soon and believe that this will make a difference.

I do have the BBR Exhaust but whether it makes a difference low down i’ve no idea.

The Super are good bits of kit

I am unable to comment on the 200 but i had the 180 on mine a could of years back

Very good

BBR exhaust other than Racing backbox. Nice! 

Yet it gave me a yearning for more oomph.

The 200 on a 2.0L makes more sense than on a 1.8L 

Neil n co do great work and i would have no hesitation in going back to bbr should i need/want to

I now have the stage 1 on my 1.8L

Nom nom!

I’ve had all the same mods done as the bbr 200- the cams. Although not all at the same time. I’d say at that price for a garunteed performance gains it’s a great price. Don’t forget garage labour isn’t Cheap and fitting a manifold, / cams is quite time consuming.  he then there’s a remap. Again, not cheap to pay somebody to do a remap.

the best thing is that it not only changes the power for that extra oomph it changes the whole way the car feels/ drives. Personally I feel that that and another 1k in suspension/ fitting/ setting up makes the mk3 an extreamly fun and capable car.

As I promised a little while back I received a review from the lad that has had the BBR 200 kit installed.

As he had the 180 kit installed first he has kindly reviewed and compared the two kits and hopes that it is of help to anyone considering these kits.

The reviews and indeed views given in the following reviews are those of the lad in question and have nothing to do with any views I have made regarding the Supercharger kit I installed on my own Sport Black and neither of us have any affiliation to BBR Gti.

Here goes:

"BBR package fitted November 2013 

Decided after many months to have the BBR 180 package installed onto my 2011 Sport Black 

Which at the time was as standard from the factory, this included 

• BBR stainless steel 4 into 1 exhaust manifold
  • BBR 2.5 inch stainless steel exhaust centre section with high flow metallic sports cat and centre silencer
  • BBR stainless steel rear tourer silencer with adjustable 3.5 inch BBR branded tailpipes
  • High flow BBR performance panel air filter in standard Mazda airbox
  • BBR StarChip ECU remap
I drove down from Scotland and had the work done in a day and drove home the next day ! 

Brackley is over 300 miles from where I stay but on doing the research I found them to be the best suited for my needs in terms of knowledge of the car from years past to the present day 

And a quick chat with Neil answered all my questions and convinced me it was the way to go.

Drove down with 158 bhp and drove home with 185 bhp and a huge smile ! Ok BBR are not the cheapest out there but in my opinion they are the best ! The conversion transformed the car in  performance and the lovely sound from the new sport exhaust manifold and cat is just superb !

In terms of performance the 180 package is quicker in every gear and at about 3,000 to.3,500 the car seems to push on harder , difficult to explain but very noticeable in the drive

Fuel figures are marginally down but that’s because you want to ‘drive’ …it as it does become addictive ??

I also got the chance to drive the development Turbo car a month before the press release which was just stunning and I seriously thought about this for the future.

It is a good sum of money but when you think of the development time and what you end up with then it was money well spent on my part and was completely satisfied with my upgrade 

Since then I have changed the suspension to Meister coil overs and had the car setup to my liking in terms of height and handling 

BBR upgrade 180 package to super 200 

I have had the 180 package for just over a year now and was seriously thinking of getting the BBR Turbo kit fitted but thinking of all that power and when I would genuinely get to use it I opted to go for the Super 200 upgrade instead this included 

• High flow BBR panel air filter
  • BBR high performance intake and exhaust camshafts 
  • BBR ECU remap
Again the long drive down to Brackley and had the work done the next day drove down with 185 bhp and home with 205 bhp as I already had the full exhaust fitted with the 180 package this was new cams and another remap which again was done with the professionalism I fully expect from BBR ! Neil spent some time with me explaining exactly how this upgrade works and showed me round the workshop and some of the developments in the pipeline and the test cars ! 

Once behind the wheel you don’t really feel much difference in first gear, the exhaust note just the same but get over the 3,000 revs in second third and upwards and that is when the big difference becomes apparent the car has reached maximum torque and just keeps going it really is a superb upgrade especially on the motorway when the response in top gear from 70 mph is instant  … No need to change down even at 60 it just goes and goes and you do have to be careful and watch the dial !!! 

In terms of fuel consumption, I have noticed no difference to the 180 package but will be slightly down on a  normal car, but to be honest it’s not a concern for me as the performance is well worth it 

So if you are thinking about the 180 or 200 package I can thoroughly recommend BBR to transform your car especially if you are wanting a normally aspirated vehicle a gain of 45 bhp is a tremendous gain for a NA vehicle and possibly one more upgrade in the near future still to come I feel that you will not be disappointed especially if you don’t  want to go down supercharged or Turbo route ! 

Please also note I am nothing more than a happy customer and have no links with BBR."

He has also asked me to add the following, at the MOT he had some small issues with the emissions, it seems that the Sports Cat needs to be really taken up to full operating temperature to gain a pass. 

An my own car’s MOT in November it initially looked as if I was going to have a similar issue but it sailed through on the second pass. As I understand matters this is common enough with Sports Cats at MOT time and if it is at all possible it is bets to get the car straight onto the emissions rig after a good thrashing to ensure the cat has been taken right up to its full operating temperature. As many may know the whole subject of CCs is quite controvertial as it is reckoned many standard cats do not get up to their operating temps on short trips thus actually increasing emissions.

I hope these reviews are of use to anyone considering going down this route.

Steve, thanks for that a useful summary of the changes.

Hi, I have my 2007 2.0 Sport RC booked in at BBR for the Super 200 upgrade in just over a week. I am also having the BBR Koni suspension upgrade even though I already had Eibach lowering springs fitted and a 4 wheel Hunter Hawkeye alignment done. The lowering springs did nothing for the handling and are more of a cosmetic upgrade to reduce the wheel/wheel arch gaps. The 4 wheel alignment was excellent though. The suspension currently bottoms out over undulations in the road, hitting the rubber stops. This can be quite irritating and can unbalance the car so I think the BBR suspension package is a worthwhile addition.

So I hope to have a car that will have a 0-60 time of close to 6 seconds and handling to match. Much cheaper than buying a faster car, take it from someone who owned a Boxster S before the MX-5!

Look forward to hearing your views when it’s done 

It will be interesting to read your comparison although suspension travel is going to be the same as before, it’s the matched damper I think that makes all the difference. I came from MeisterRs to BBR Suspension and I find it much more compliant for road use with no negatives on the handling side.

That’s good to know Stevie. I’m sure you’re right about the BBR Koni matched dampers. When the Eibach lowering springs were fitted the standard Bilstein dampers were retained that were matched to the original springs and ride height. Good to hear you are pleased with the BBR suspension as I wasn’t as certian about having it done as the Super 200 upgrade itself.

Have to say that Neil at BBR hs been great, I have every confidence it will be a good job and a good result.

I’m looking forward to hearing what you think of your upgrades - keep us posted! 

Hi, So the BBR Super 200 and BBR Koni suspension upgrade were completed a few weeks back now. I have left it a while before posting a review so I could live with the car for a bit.

So pleased I had this done. The 200BHP and improved torque does make a big difference from the standard 2.0 car. It certianly feels like the 0-60 is close to 6 seconds and the engine revs out very willingly too.

The benefits of power and torque improvements are obvious really but the real surprise has been the suspension upgrade. I thought the car was good with the Eibach lowering kit and a 4 wheel Hunter Hawkeye alignment, but did find the rear suspension bottoming out irritating. The BBR Koni suspension and alignment is excellent. No more rear suspension bottoming out as the dampers and springs are matched. It probably rides about 10mm higher on the BBR suspension compared to the 30mm Eibach lowering springs. This is good news for speed bumps as I have much less trouble with them now with no penalty to the handling. Actually the handling is greatly improved and you reach the limit of the tyres long before the limits of the suspension and alignement setup. Really sticks like glue and I love the firmer ride as well as the superb feel for what the car is doing on the road.

Overall I believe the work that BBR have done is a cost effective way of getting significantly improved performance from my 2.0 NC. The car is now what I really wanted it to be, very much a new lease of life as I may have changed it otherwise. If you like your MX-5 but would like more oomph and better handling this is the way to go in my opinion.