BBR Super 200 or 225

To close this off, i was wrong and I understood why you don’t shift at max rpm in the mx5 but at much higher rpm after I saw the math explained here

:sweat_smile:

1 Like

Back in the room and my respect for your ‘appology’.
:heart:

1 Like

Hi

Many thanks, that is a great reply to my question. You have definitley helped me make a decison, especially on my suspension setup. My wife drives the car as well (first car I’ve owned that she enjoys driving) so I think it would be a mistake to firm things up. I felt it was something I needed to do, but your right for a majority of the time the stock suspension is fine, also I have in mind that I won’t ever track day the car. Mine too is a 2010 Sport Tech. I read your suspension thread, very informative.

Today I spoke with Neil at BBR, between us we came to the conclusion that for me the 200 would be the better outcome. If I went for the 185 and then upgraded to the 200, they would have to fit the cams as I certainly couldn’t do it, therefore it would be more costly. Also as Mike said you appear to get more bang for your buck.

So I’ve brought forward the date to the 10th Feb for the trip down from Sheffield to BBR, I’m looking forward to it.

Nick

2 Likes

Yes indeed. It takes a big man to say I’m sorry but I’ll also accept from ckleanth and say not to get too wound up about power/torque/gearing 'cos it’ll all go out of the window to be replaced by a bit of practical “on track” experience on the day and any other days afterwards.
Enjoy yourself :+1:

2 Likes

Going fast on a straight line isn’t what interests me the most. Going sideways with style is what i want to get better at :rofl:

Following

Me too and I’m still trying to perfect that :joy: The car is still faster than I am !!!

1 Like

I think there is a lot to be said about how much power one can really use in a car on our roads and also much fun it is to use the whole rev range of “smaller” engines. I’m enjoying my 1.8 which is faster than most other vehicles on our roads. The only thing I’m missing out on is bragging rights with my neighbours.

Of course I have the advantage of being a motorcyclist too, where extra power can be used more regularity to overtake even on our tight roads.

1 Like

I’m 100% sure I replied to a thread above but now it’s not there ??
Can somebody explain why that might be ?

I think turbo or SC is the best option. The MX lacks torque and the forced induction solves that problem.

BBR 200 £2100. . .
BBR 225 £4500 - 236nm around 5000rpm
BBR Stage 1 Turbo £5700 - 320nm @ 3800rpm

1 Like

Whilst I really appreciate all the input i really am looking for some comparative experience on the Super 200 & 225.

I know about power to weight ratio, I bought the car because it is one of the best handling cars on the road and was not designed for out right speed plus I have no intention of maxing out the power as I am well aware it would be a waste of time on the road.

I have never modded a single car I’ve owned simply chosen the right car based on its OEM performance and characteristics but having driven a range of cars I am interested in looking at boosting power output but I’m looking for real world experience of it in order to see if it is worth doing. Mostly there is a list of reasons not to but the opinion on the 185 upgrade was useful and it may be less is more and might be the way I go.

The car does not need more for tight twisty back roads but where I live those are few and far between instead larger fun A roads are what I have where a power increase can be used and may be more fun hence why I’m asking for a real world experience.

I have never felt a car I’ve owned before would gain from a power boost so never done one, this is the first that I feel may be more enjoyable with a bit more guts.

I also haven’t looked at suspension as the car came on Meister coil overs so has already been lowered and benefits by being flatter through the bends.

If the general user experience is that the higher powered upgrades are not that usable then I’d planned to pass but if the consensus is that users are enjoying it then it is likely to be worth the investment thus I’m asking for real world user experiences from people who have done the BBR upgrades.

Thanks

1 Like

I saw what you said but it was deleted and “following” was left there instead. I thought you did it on purpose but perhaps you actually accidentally deleted the text

Think of what you want from the car and prioritize.

My priorities was that
Primarily I wanted the car to sound great. Honestly i think my car is one of the best sounding cars i have ever heard. Its not loud, but when you put your foot down you get all the crackling and poping (but you are still doing 60mph :yum:)

I wanted to retain engine reliability (its a 10y old car) so im sticking away from any boost solutions. I “may” add the BBR cams on mine in the future but its a very distant maybe.

I’m intending to keep mine indefinitely so i don’t really mind spending money on it hence my next spend is a week at the mx5 restorer to redo the undersealing instead of any power upgrade.

My priorities is not the same as your priorities, and tbh only you will know the right answer.

No, I answered another post but it’s withered into the ether by looks of it :flushed:

Thank you that is useful. What was the key improvements to boost the sound as that will improve experience more than anything and yes I agree on the turbo not sure its best in the long term plus i like having a car that’s naturally aspirated as it is a dying breed now.

Hi, in terms of real world user I have been running the BRB 200 set up in my 2010 2.0 SE for some 5 years now and can safely say it was the best decision I made for the car.
The wonderful naturally aspirated characteristics of the MX remain unaffected but the quite rapid acceleration and power delivery are transformed by the power boost, mine made 206 on the dyno.
The MX driving enjoyment is, for me, transformed by the BRR power upgrade, you can drive along enjoying our cars exactly as before the mod, but when required you have the confidence the car will react exactly as you need.
Last year I had Paul Roddison add the Meister coilovers to my car so have similar set up to you. Combined with the BBR 200 the car is an absolute joy drive and enjoy. It’s worth pointing out that fuel economy noticeably improved after the upgrade, going from 30 ish to an easy 35.
My 5 is a weekend car so I run it on Shell V power and there is no better antidote to a bad week at work than to now go for a blast roof down in the 5.
By the way don’t change at 3500 -4000 revs, this is the point the car comes alive and I regularly enjoy the full rev range, which is exactly how a normally aspirated car should be driven…its fun!
By the way power wise my daily is an AMG Merc so I am not chasing speed…the Merc would eat the MX…but the MX is way more fun, now it has the guts it deserves.
Get the BBR 200 you won’t regret it!

3 Likes

Forum software stores all deleted/edited posts, what’s stored can be restored if you want.

1 Like

I have measured my NC with stock 2.0 and a G-Tech Pro RR and it’s way faster than specs tell you; I got it at 6,5s from 0-62. But the stock exhaust make it feel slower than that.

About the 200 vs 225, imho the extra money isn’t worth the 25hp value wise. You really must want the characer that comes with ITB’s which is awesome. But also really expensive. I’d take the 200. If you contemplate about getting the 225 you should also consider the supercharger. Also adds to the character of the car and keeps the N/A character. But it adds a lot more speed. I’d get the 200 though and save 2k :smiley:

An alternative is to see what Paul Roddinson can do for you. I’ve read several not so positive experiences about BBR GTI while I’ve never seen anything negative about him. His package: MX5 mk3 power upgrade 185BHP |

Slightly less power but full exhaust system, replacement which, I reckon, will be more fun. And you can ask him if he can also install different cams; I suspect if you do that, power will be higher than BBR GTI 200 package.

2 Likes

I have no preference with either but I did inquire with Paul about that exact system and the price on the website is not current. It was more or less what BBR was asking for the equivalent system which is the BBR Super 185 (however for me BBR was far closer to do the work, did the work within a day and the tuning was done in house)

The only issue I have had with BBR was to get hold of Neil but I attribute that because they are fairly busy.

hi Mike
You should go for the super 200, it is fantastic value and a great level for the NC. I just sold mine with suspension upgrades and it was a fantastic car.
Ian

1 Like