Been offered an MR2 and know very little about them

There’s only one low cost superb handling totally reliable lightweight Japanese sports car. And it isn’t the MR2.

To be considered, it says also offers…
Just came across it whilst browsing as you do😁

Very silly of the seller to show the 11-digit reference number on the V5. You know, the bit where it says “Don’t share, keep it safe”!

Yes I see, didn’t notice that, it’s not his car either, he’s hidden the address though.
I’d proceed with caution, could be a genuine case of selling for a pal, who knows?

Thanks for the ad Mick

2 Likes

Any puncture will give you a problem.I had a mk 2 T bar and used the temp spare after removing the punctured rear tyre .This will not fit into the space vacated by the spare the wheel is too big…Only solution is on the passenger seat or on the passenger!

1 Like

I’ve got a mk1 and a mk3 MR2 and a mk1 MX5. The mk1 MR2 has character in its design and the way it’s made that makes it such a loveable car. If you are an engineer, it is more interesting and you will appreciate the expense and its sophisticated nature. In standard form it is more like driving a normal, grown up car. That said, it is a generation older than the mx5. Production stopped in 1989 when the MX5 was launched. Parts are harder to get, as there are just fewer examples around.
The mk3 is more comparable to the MX5 as it is an open top. However, not having the engine in the front gives it a nimbleness that the MX5 just cannot match. We have a track prepped mk3 and it really is on a different level. Parts are plentiful and you can still get much of it new from Toyota as parts are shared across multiple Toyota models.

1 Like

I had a mk2 Revision 1, 1990 uk spec (known as a widow maker - shocking brakes, small wheels and terrible suspension) and a mk2 revision 3 1993 import that was perfect…

I loved them, and should never have sold my rev 3 15 years ago but anyway…

As others said, bit of a pain for engine work… anything more than a cambelt change is best engine out. A lot of folks bought them and didnt know how to look after them… a lot of overheated engines caused by incorrect coolant changes. People trying to drift them and wearing diffs/boxes. Advantage is a really nice weight balance, great driving position, very solid body & doors, galvanized bodies (thin on doors and lipped sills/bad jacking can cause rust)

Whilst the glass Targa tops and moonroofs are nice, tin tops are stiffer.

Chassis parts can be a bit pricey, engine parts cheap… or used to be!

Climbing in value, especially the mk1’s and the better JDM mk2’s… revision 3 onwards with the yamaha partnered 3S-GE engine would be my reckon.

Or the hallowed GTS turbo… but they are getting so rare now

Thats about it from me really!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.