Been offered an MR2 and know very little about them

It’s early days but this morning I was asked whether I would be interested in an MR2.
The gentleman has seen that I own a Mk1 & Mk2.

I’m looking for help if any members know of a particular model is better than others and as equally reliable as the MX5’s.

At this stage my curiosity will be to arrange a viewing, no other details other than long term ownership and described as mint.

1 Like

I worked for a Toyota main dealer back in the 1983 till late 1990’s . Engine fautls core plugs leaking . water round the spark plugs . Water pump that was a pig of a job to do . You had to jack up the engine on the O/S remove the engine mount bolt just to get your hand in there even then you had little room. Just like MX5’s they like rust. Look for front end damage we had a lot come back as the front is light as it’s mid engine

Thanks for your help

Hi, I’ve owned all 3 models of the MR2.

All super cars but very different, which model are you looking at?

1 Like

Marketing disaster of Toyota in France.

MR Deux in French, sounds like Merde :flushed:

I’ll have to update as I actually haven’t seen it yet but I’ll arrange that shortly.
Out of the models is there a preferred one

It’s full name is Midship Runabout 2 seater, maybe that translate better?

Ha how deep are your pockets :grinning:

Preference is of course subjective however I’d rank them in order as follows
Mk1
Mk3
Mk2

2 Likes

Any ideas on the different current prices on good ones.

I concur. Fabulous cars.

The guy has already mentioned price. £7500

I did have two mk3s until earlier this year when a camper van stopped in front of me and decided to reverse back without looking in the mirrors. The loss adjuster said to me on the phone “the prices are all over the place” and that is certainly true with mk3s. £7500 is very strong money for a mk3 so I assume it is an earlier model. Condition is everything with the mk1 and 2s and its easy to have a shiny car with problems hidden so do a very through inspection if you are tempted. (The mk3 is the only true convertible, the mk1 and 2s were only T-bars).

Thank you, as soon as I know which one of the three models it is I’ll post however, the gentleman did say it has a hardtop so I’m expecting it will be the mk3.

If its a MK 1 ,grab it , but just like the MK 1 Roadsters they can suffer from the tin worm.
M-m

1 Like

The hardtops on their own go for over a grand if in good condition!

If its a mk3, this is the best forum to join;
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php

If it is a mk1 or mk2 then this is best;
https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/

Thanks for all the info so far. I’ll keep you posted when I get to view

I reluctantly sold my mint mk3 2005 earlier this summer.

It was an utterly brilliant car during my time as owner (nearly 3 years) & was 100% reliable and the only costs incurred were annual services and fuel.

£ for £ the mk3 is the pick of the MR2’s - less rust concern than a Mk1 too

If it’s priced at £7.5k then expect low mileage, low number of owners, FSH and for it to be in near mint condition.

Lots of very knowledgable and friendly people on the MR2ROC

I had a mk1 supercharged model. Lovely car but watch out for rust.
Then had a mk 3 facelifted with a hardtop. Lovely car but not much luggage space.
One important thing to check is the condition of a filter which can break up and score the engine bores.

Let us know which version it is, when you get to that stage.

I tested a few Mk3s years ago when a friend was looking for something ‘sporty’ - I recall they seemed quite fussy over suspension alignment/geometry, but the same can probably be said of an MX-5 as well. The few we trialled all felt different to drive, with the best of the lot having had a recent geometry check. The worst one felt vague from a steering feedback and turn-in point of view.