Best £300 I've ever spent on any car in over 55 years of driving

Before I purchased my MX5 Mk3.5 NC 2 Litre Sport-tech, I had owned a classic MGB Roadster for a few years and I had done quite a few replacement parts on the car. I was very pleased with my NC purchase and I was looking forward to many years of fun top down driving. However, I missed the beautiful purring sound of the stainless steel exhaust on the MGB roadster. Recently, I went out on a drive over the Pennines from Lancashire to Yorkshire on the Snake Pass. In front of me during the drive was another NC, but the sound from his exhaust was music to my ears. I later found out that he had installed a Cobra Sport race version backbox. I decided that I had to have one. Personally, I prefer to keep my cars as near to stock as possible and seeing a price tag of around £500 for the Cobra, put me off a bit. Then I found one for sale on the Owner’s Club Facebook group. It cost me less than £300 fitted. What a difference it’s made to the driving experience. I love it. The burbling roar and the odd pop when decelerating. Definitely the best £300 I’ve ever spent on any car in over 55 years of driving.

11 Likes

Yep. I hear ya! Bought my NC on its sound from the back box as I already knew the drive! That was the best £10k I spent but no regrets! Obviously the car was lovely as well.

Ant

3 Likes

That’s what I spent on my NC, but I had money left over from the sale of my MGB Roadster after buying the MX5. Getting the right car is more important than the deal in my view. Happy days.

Anything that has enhanced your driving experience the way this obviously has is worth its weight in gold :grinning:
I hope you have a great summer.

2 Likes

Last Friday on my way home from work, my exhaust blew. Found out on Saturday that the mid section - inc. mini cat - had snapped. So £420 later that was replaced, but having had a look at it up on the ramps I realised how tatty the rear box and tailpipes look.

Now. thanks to you, I need a Cobra Sport back box in my life…

I hate you. :rage: (no offence)

2 Likes

Glad to be of help.

1 Like

Exactly right. Cheers mate

1 Like

Look for a second hand one. That’s what I did. The guy I bought it from said that the new noise restrictions on track days, meant that he needed to switch back to a standard box. But he had done a de cat as well as a manifold change.

1 Like

I bought a ND sports back box off eBay for £88. It was advertised as a “Bell exhaust”, which I have never heard of :thinking:.

I fitted it to my 1.5 litre ND and then swapped it over on to my 2.0 litre :100: Anniversary on the day I bought it.

The deep throat rumble it makes is amazing. Nothing offensive but still very noticeable.

I love it :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

They really make a difference to the driving experience. Especially at low speeds. Mazda should have them as an option when new I think.

1 Like

I have a Cobra race backbox on one of my mx’s and if/when i sell the car it will be coming off and possibly going on my other 5.
Lovely exhaust.

2 Likes

Mazda do a sports exhaust as a dealer fit option. I optioned one on my new ND - and I have the original standard exhaust taking up space in the garage… It is probably more subtle than the louder ones, but certainly sounds good…

1 Like

That’s good info. They didn’t do it for the NC I think. For the NC 3.5, they put a specific pipe from the engine bay through to the cabin, to give some kind of a sporty sound, but that was useless in my opinion. But nice to hear that they cottoned on with the Mk4 ND. Cheers Fred S

The best £300.00 I spent on a car is having the suspension sorted and lowered, it actually does something useful, it improves the handling and stability of the the already great car.

4 Likes

Each to their own choice I suppose. I’m not the kind of driver that needs anything other than the standard Bilstein’s that are on my NC. Although I do admit that an NC that is lowered looks better. Cheers Fred S

2 Likes

One of my first purchases, was slightly worried it may be too much… nah its superb :grin:

1 Like

You said it mate. Spot on!

Out of interest did you have any issue with rubber hangers when fitting ?

My tail pipes are touching the rear valance

I had the sports suspension fitted last year (-30mm) when I had a broken spring, transforms the car - but it was a bit more than £300! :cry:

Sometimes we just look for an excuse to spend money, don’t we?
But I don’t drink, smoke or take drugs, so…

3 Likes

You’re quite right in everything you say. I spent loads on my classic MGB roaster. I don’t smoke, or take drugs either. although I do like the odd tipple or two every now and again. Cheers Fred S

1 Like