Best driving roads in Northern Ireland

Quick question then, which roads are the best driving roads in Northern Ireland?

As I originate from Coleraine I would say all the way round the North Antrim Coast, stunning views & a must to visit would be Ballintoy Harbour. I live in England & do go “home” at least bi-annually, but have yet to visit with my mx5, I would love to be able to frequent the Antrim Coast on a regular basis.

Hi, we where out with the owners club on Saturday up the Antrim coast from Glengormley through Larne and up to Bushmills via Torr Head, really fun drive despite it being cloudy and slight drizzle, really good fun, agree with you that the Antrim Coast road is a fantastic drive. Maybe the next time you are over here you should bring your mx 5 and enjoy. Have yet to take my 5 up the mourne mountains also.

I used to live in Northern Ireland. Used to take the car regularly up the Antrim coast; its fun providing you are not behind traffic, as there are very few passing points. Torrhead is good, but roads are narrow, and there are a lot of rock outcrops at sill level. Don’t be tempted to stop at the pub as the Torrhead road rejoins the main road to Ballycastle. A member who was a retired police officer warned us the clientèle were not friendly.

Other roads:
A run up to Spelga Dam is great, avoid GAA matchdays (gets busy). There are switchbacks.
Best kept secret road; Slieve Gullion forest road. Built I think by the forestry commission, 8 miles of one way switch backs and blind crests. Last time I was there it was in excellent condition.

Dundrod; may not be the best drive, but its one of the most historic to follow the same course used by Hawthorn, Moss, Collins, Ascari and Fangio.

Dundrod circuit, now there is an idea do this and the other road racing circuits, NW 200 craigantlet hill climb etc stick a Gopro camera on the car. If it’s dry on Saturday might just do a run up to Spelga Dam.

Also, look up the Temple 100 route, though if hood down, a hood cover is recommended, as the wheels might catch some air…

Just a few minutes from where I live and a nice road if you get it clear.[(yy)]

Always enjoyed the drive around Ards peninsula especially if the sun is out, again if you get stuck behind traffic not too many places to pass.

All the above are true, but it’s worth while considering the lesser known rural roads.  Between Hillsborough and Ballynahinch there are roads with nice sweeping bends through lovely countryside.  Not on an international scale it’s to be admitted, but I certainly enjoy them.

The night we done the run from Sprucefield to Newcastle through Castlewellan that was a good road with a scenic car park over looking the mournes.

What about the roads in Fermanagh, Tyrone and Armagh?

Tandragee to Armagh via Hamiltonsbawn… a bikers’ favourite with some lovely sweeping corners that you cant help but grin your way round in the MX5!

All the way round the Lower Lough Erne.  Enniskillen, Belleek, Boa island, Kesh and back - that’s the clockwise way, but equally nice anti-clockwise.  Couple of castles to visit on the way too.  Really nice drive.