Best mod for under £20!

Season greetings everyone!

Finally got round to replacing my gear lever bush with a brass one today.

Part ordered from here:

Took less than an hour to do.

1. Remove centre console:

1. Remove rubber gaiter:

2. Remove the 3 retaining bolts and pull the gear stick out (put it in neutral first!)

You can see the black plastic bush on the end of the gear knob.
You can also see a lack of oil in the gear stick hole!

1. Top of with 75W/90 API GL-4 and replace the plastic bush with the brass one (bit of silicone grease to help ease it on)

I added about 150CC of oil! Use a syringe to fill it. Take your time - the level will drop slowly. Keep topping up until level holds.

1. Put everything back in reverse. Retaining bolts need 10Nm torque.

And the result? Amazing!! Gear change was lumpy before. Now super smooth and precise :grin:

Can’t be sure how much is down to the oil and how much down to the brass bush but the gearbox feels fantastic! Feels brand new.

Not a bad mod for £19 :star_struck:

1 Like

What condition was the selector limiter plate in ?
That can make shifting notchy when it wears.

2 Likes

No obvious wear. Feels very precise now with just the new bush.

Does anyone know if the brass bush is suitable for all NC models?

1 Like

There is a 5 speed and a 6 speed one I believe. That’s the only thing that matters.

2 Likes

The ones supplied by Duratecnc are for 6 speed only ,with the NC1 item different to the NC2/3

1 Like

TBH and although I did not change the bush, changing the gearbox oil (and the diff if you haven’t done so) will make an actual difference to how the gears engage. Also adjusting the clutch pedal bite point will definitely help too.

Thanks for that I’ll get one from them as mines a NC2 :+1:

FYI the shifter was quite stiff this morning. Loosened up once the gearbox was warm. Doesn’t bother me as its pretty much just s track day car but if it was my daily driver I think it would annoy me. Less oil next time!

2 Likes

Adjust the clutch pedal push rod - made a difference on mine.

1 Like