Best performance/ Cold air intake for Mk2 - under £200

HI I was wondering what intakes you guys would recommend for a mk2 that will be tracked and used on the road, I’ve seen some of the K&N and some Pipercross intakes and was wondering if you guys could help.

Just get a generic cone filter and a bit of tumble dryer ducting, £50 tops. Ramair generic filter is £30. These " cold air" intakes won’t make you any extra power.

With the Mk2, you have to remember to tap the filter to fit the thermal sensor.

The bit more expemsive IL Motorsport intake (MX5parts) essentially rips off the idea of the Jackson Racing intake. In its day, the JR intake was rated, but mostly because I think it shortened the intake tract, and made for a snappier throttle.

If persisting with a cold air intake, for the Mk1, the best will be those cold air intakes, which move the filter to sit behind the drivers side headlight, well away from the exhaust, and with a very short intake to the inlet manifold.

Something like this homemade effort

This is how Mazda did it for a concept

I’ve tried quite a few variations, and to be honest they all sound better but end up giving you troubles and/or less actual performance. If you remove the standard crossover tube then you get rid of the resonance chamber which helps with a flat spot in mid-range torque, if you keep that but change to a cone filter you are introducing hot air as mentioned above which is bad and looses power.
A mk2 with VICs (99-00) doesn’t need the resonance chamber so is more easy to change the tube, but even then you will need to make sure you really are getting cold air to it and not just from somewhere else in the engine bay. If you google “randall intake” there is a way of linking the standard air box to the outside cold air in a low pressure zone by the windscreen but you need to cut a hole in your car for that.
This method also keeps the standard airbox and crossover.

Good luck but as i said I have tried most methods and I’m currently running a mix of mk1 and mk2 standard parts with a K&N panel filter.

1 Like

Yeah I have a 98 mk2 so it should be fine removing the chamber and it’s going in an Exocet kit car with basically no body so it’s easy to feed cold air to it.

Thanks for the help