Best Smart Charger for a 1997 Mk1 1.8

Hi again
I want to buy a good smart charger for my Mk1 and from on-line reviews the OptiMate 4 and CTEK MXS 5.0 appear to be the ones to go for. Does anyone have any views on these ?

I have a CTEK for my Mk1 and Mk4 as it will happily work on both types of battery (Mk4 has stop/start battery). I also have a LIDL one which is also very good, it replaced an RAC branded charger that failed after one winters use.

Thanks Jeff. I’ll take a look at the LIDL one too

These are not a stock item unfortunately, so you’ll have to see if they happen to have them on sale at the moment.
If not, try Aldi for the same chargers but the stock situation is the same, they get them in batches.
They do work well though.

Thanks

1 Like

I’ve found CTEK easy to use and my ND is on a MXS 3.8 right now. However I have had one pack up previously.

This chap has a lot to say about the cheap design of the MXS 5.0 -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeTJTzKRUy0

I’ve had a LIDL - I think I gave it away, it worked OK but if you have a power cut it didn’t reset, it just stayed off when the power came back. At the time we were having short power interruptions almost daily where I lived so I never knew if it was on or off without looking.

I’ve had an Aldi one that gave up.

If my CETK packs up I might try one of these - the Optimate with everything

but they are even dearer than the CTEK. The MXS 3.8 might (only might, I am inferring from the video I just linked) be a bit more reliable than the 5.0. I’ve just checked and I bought mine in July 2016. I have the flying socket attached to my battery terminals.

The Optimate 4 by the way is only a 1A charger. That should be OK for maintenance but isn’t going to get you going very quickly if your battery is flat one morning. Which reminds me that these smart chargers can be reluctant to charge a completely flat battery, you either need a very smart one or a dumb one for that.

1 Like

I’ve got the Aldi and Lidl one in operation right now, not much to choose between the two, do the job.:+1:

1 Like

From experience stick with the CTEK 5 :+1:

CTEK for my bike and Mx5 whenever in the garage for a lengthy period. Quality item, switch on and forget.

Thanks all

ctek from amazon perfect

Hi all, just had to charge my 30AE again yesterday ready for a journey today and still needed to jump start it today. I do leave it quite a while between uses, sitting outside with a cover on. I think the CTEK 5.0 is what I need, but will it be OK to charge it periodically without removing the car cover?

(Because its outside I cant leave it permanently plugged in, but would charge much more often if I didn’t have to take the cover off (and the fox defenses - prickle strip) every time).

1 Like

CTEK 5 is what I have and leave my MX5 permanently attached to it in the winter with no issues.
In fact it gets connected every time I put it away in the garage.
During the pandemic I used it on my Volvo V60 which is on the drive.
However, the one lead was too short so bought another extension lead for it.
Put water proof rubber tape around the joint and a good plastic bag, (just in case) over that.
No problems with a cover on the car in my opinion.
Mine has an indoor cover on in the garage as he gets a bit cold in the winter. :flushed::wink:
I see no reason why you should have any problems.
How far is yours from the power source?
If too far take the battery out perhaps as only a 5 minute job to connect. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Thanks for the prompt response. I’m on a private development but any power lead would have to cross the footpath to the car, so I shouldnt leave a trip hazard. I’m not keen on taking the battery out for fear of what it will screw up! And the tracker would panic if I did (insurance requirement - very annoying).

Cheeky further question - i see there’s a CTEK designed for stop-start cars, which mine is. i suspect this is just a con, but is yours stop-start?

Ahhh, you have a bit of a problem then! :flushed::thinking:

Stop Start.
The MX5 no, (NC 3.75).
The Volvo is and no issues for me.
I asked CTEK that very question and they stated that they are all fine with a stop start system or not and hence why I got the 5 one.
Hopefully someone in a similar position as you can assist with an idea for you. :+1: