Best Suspension setup for an Old Guy! NA Eunos 1.6

1. My model of MX-5 is: NA
  2. I’m based near: Edinburgh
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: _Shock Absorbers

Folks, forgive the question which I am sure has been asked many times. I bought my Eunos 1992 1.6 in 2004 and was the first UK owner. It arrived with lowered suspension which I hated - rock hard and grounding over speed bumps. I had the suspension changed to standard and it made a big difference. After 16 years though, it now feels a bit rough and crashy over uneven surfaces, so I am thinking of a DIY shock absorder change. There is nothing obviously wrong - no fluid leaks and no rebound issues, and partly I guess i am just looking for an excuse to tinker. I have looked at lots of youtube videos and listened to the arguments about coilovers, but I am no longer interested in going round corners pulling max G and instead just want the best compromise between ride quality and handling. MX5 Parts have OEM Mazda shocks at a good price, and if I go that route i will also probably replace the springs and dust covers/ bump stops as well. Does that seem the best plan given my priorities, or are there other options i should consider?
Thanks in advance

Hi

Yes, I would go with replacement standard suspension. I am disappointed that there is a discernable deterioration of the replacement standard suspension after just 16 years but these things happen. My 1997 on original suspension but then I have covered around 13k miles in the last 17 years or so of ownership - what a loser:-)
Fitted used MK2.5 suspension straight onto my other halves 1991 Eunos 1.6 and that has worked really well too.
Going for lowered suspension or adjustable will likely not work at all or take a lot of regular adjustment to match the comfort/compromise of standard. you obviously require.

The Mazda Showa shocks are certainly far cheaper than they used to be, and may have killed off the no-brand pattern shocks.

An intriguing alernative is from MX5Heaven, who have Australian made Pedders shocks and springs.

Very good price considering this includes shocks, springs, bumpstops and top mounts. The Mk1 top mounts do wear out, but people rarely change them.

I hadn’t heard of them, and assumed they were just another Chinese knock-off, but no, Aussie company, decent history:

Pedders do all the uprated kit, but its hard to find reviews of the standard kit, except that Pedders OE seem to have a good reputation in the Land Down Under.

Their XAs wll certainly be on my short list when my 11 year old Protecs give up the ghost.

That is interesting, and I like the idea of getting complete units ready to install. Thanks for the tip, and i will look into these further.

That Pedders kit is an interesting find Saz. I wonder what the spring height is like i.e. lower early model or higher late Mk1 ? Maybe that is dictated by variant - 1.6 vs 1.8 ?

I’ve fitted mk2 shocks and eibach lowering springs on my mk1 RS ltd and very happy with ride

MX5restorer claim they have fitted these Pedders units to many customer cars.

There is one review at: