Best Tyres for 2012 Mk3 (in a colder climate)

Good evening all my question regards rear tyres for my car. I am running Avon ZV7’s and I feel in wet and cooler weather they do no seem to have a great deal of grip especially in roundabouts or exiting roundabouts and I am aware that roundabouts can be slippery. my general question is as I am up in Scotland and temperatures are on average 6 to 10 degrees colder than in the south does anybody have an opinion on a better tyre for my application.
Thanks.

Hi Robyn,

Summer tyres don’t work too well up here in colder weather. You can either drive round that or put winter/all seasons on. Having all 4 tyres matching is also a good idea.

Ian

I love the ‘best tyre’ threads, there are so many different opinions, that you’ll come away none the wiser.
Let’s see. :grinning:

you need someone who drives like you and in the same climate and similar car set up ,

I’ve had recommendations from people that when i got in the car with them they drove like driving miss daisy lol

I’m currently running Hankook Ventus Prime 3 as summer tyres and they are great for that, when it gets cold and greasy not so much.

In winter a different set of wheels has Michelin Crossclimate 2 tyres on, softer and more pliable so the ride can be a bit bouncier than the summers, the grip is good when it’s colder though.

You could run all seasons, all season… however if you like to enjoy the car’s chassis it would be a waste when warmer.

I’ve used uniroyal rainsports on my v8 bmw and they were a great compromise for a car I used all year round. Currently using eagle f1s which seem great but the mx5 is a fair weather car for me so not so worried about all season.