Beware of the car park spikes at Millfields c.p. at Carsington Water!

Hi, I’m new here (although I was a member of the club when I previously owned an MX-5). I’m posting here because this is the area I live in (Brailsford). I recently went to Carsington Water and parked at the Millfields car park (not the main one). At the exit to this car park, there are some spikes to prevent you from coming in through the exit. As I was leaving (slowly) there was a horrible sound as the spikes scraped the underside of my car (which is not lowered, BTW). A few days later I was able to take my Mk 3.5 to my local garage in Hulland Ward where Andrew very kindly put it up on the ramp and we had a good look underneath. Amazingly, we could not find any signs of damage. I thought I’d share this, just in case anybody else wanted to avoid some trauma! We did mention this to the people at reception at the main desk, and they were very understanding, advising me to take photographs of any damage in case I needed to make a claim. Fortunately, I didn’t need to. If there is anywhere else that this ought to be posted, just let me know. Thanks.

I’ve seen ‘spikes’ like this in car parks all over the country - have driven over some of them too, with no issues.

I don’t quite know exactly how they are supposed to work, but surely they shouldn’t come up after one has only driven the front wheels over them, and before the rear wheels have reached them. Is there not some ‘delay’ mechanism built in ?

I will certainly be more wary of them when in my MX-5 from now on - thanks for the warning.

Spikes on a car park exit point?
Are they at least visible to drivers before they enter the car park?
Are you warned at the entrance about the presence of these spikes at the exit?

You can probably see them if you know where to look because the entrance and exit are fairly close together. I don’t think there are any warning signs at the entrance. I think there is a sign at the exit. It basically tells you that they are there, and why.