Bilstein B12 or Koni Sport (and is a B12 shock the same as 2013 Sport Tech standard)

1. My model of MX-5 is: __2013 NC3.75 2.0 Sport Tech
  2. I’m based near: __Reading, Berkshire
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __Non Height Adjustable Shocks

My car has 109k miles so is somewhat overdue an overhaul. going to do new brakes pads discs backing plates flexi hoses and lanoguard the underside to death, however a suspension refresh is also called for I don’t need height adjustment albeit a little lower than stock is good. Does anyone have experience of both the B12’s (eibach -40mm) or the Koni Sport kit (H&R -40mm). The Koni’s seem to have the advantage of being rebound adjustable but seem to cover NC1 to NC3 so I suspect only 10mm drop on the NC3.
will probably pair with the MX5 parts IL antirollbars as well and worse case poly bush if originals are shot .
If the B12 shock is the same as the std shock then the Koni’s may be better,

Appreciate any thoughts,

I can’t offer any direct experience of Bilstein or Koni on the '5 I’m afraid, but I have run both setups on other cars.

I’ve used B12 kits elsewhere to good effect. Bilstein use the B8 damper as part of the B12 kit for the NC (Part No 46-190345). So it won’t be the same shock as the OEM Bilstein Mazda use.

If you’re looking for pricing, I’ve found Larkspeed to be competitve for both Bilstein and Koni setups in the past. Suspension & Polybushes | Larkspeed

One thing to say though, is that the B12 kit costs more than the Tein FlexZ coilovers I have fitted to my NC2. I know where my money would go! Then you have control over the ride height and compliance settings. Just a thought…

Wardy5

Thanks for your reply, pleasing to hear the B8/12 aren’t the same as the stock Bilstein. Have been looking at the Larkspeed site already as well as Bilstein’s own site, surprisingly the B12’s are cheaper direct from Bilstein @ £865.08. I must admit The TEIN’s are very tempting. I presume you’ve had no issues with them. I was going for static height adjustability on the basis I wont be tracking the car and its about providing the best on road manners. However :slight_smile:

Absolutely no issues with the Teins. I couldn’t be happier.

Ride height is where I want it, no issues with speed bumps as the body control is so good. Ride comfort and compliance is better than stock. And stock for me was the more comfortable SE spec suspension as well.

I wouldn’t rule out height adjustable coilovers just for road use. On the basis that you have more adjustability to get the setup where you want it. My use is 90+% road, and yet it’s a far better B-road tool than it was in stock form :+1:

Where are you based? I’m in Cheshire if you’re nearby, you’re more than welcome to have a demo.

Cheers,
Steve

So you can judge ride height. OEM 16s, which I use in autumn/winter. Then my summer 17s. I run the same ride height year round. 340mm all round, measured wheel centre to bottom of the arch which is the ‘universal’ measurement (if you can call it that)

1 Like

Steve

Thanks for your kind reply, regrettably I’m along way south, just outside Reading in Berkshire, but I must admit the ride height looks absolutely spot on. were you able to pre adjust the shock spring plates to provide that ride height before installation? I understand that for instance the Meister Zetas come ‘pre built’ to a particular length. Tim

Not sure where the B12 fits into the equation (although I do know it comes as a kit with springs), but when I changed mine (2014 NC 3.75 PRHT Sport Venture), my research indicated that Bilstein made three grades for the NC; B4 (standard damping), B6 (fast road damping) and B8 (track-biased damping).

I fitted B6’s and can vouch that they provide an excellent compromise between handling and comfort. It’s an absolute B-road weapon with superb suspension control but doesn’t loosen your fillings!

I chose to leave mine at standard height as the roads around here (Yorkshire moors and dales) have some very punishing dips and crests and it’s not difficult to run out of clearance even without losing height/travel.

They were fitted and then a slight height adjustment was made. I believe they were slightly lower ‘out of the box’ - 335mm if memory serves.

Best of luck in whatever you choose to do :+1:

B12 is simply a Bilstein ‘pack’ which includes dampers (B6 or B8 depending on the car) and compatible Eibach lowering springs. Springs are usually 30mm lower, but again will depend on the car and individual spec level.

I have the tein flex z also and can second wardy’s opinion, I’m very happy with them.

If you want them firm and unforgiving for a blast on good roads they can do that and the car will be very sharp and responsive - and if you want them supple and soft for the roads we actually have in England they can do that too. The roads are so bad around my way now that I’ve wound them down to their softest setting in recent days just to see what they’re like at that and I’m finding that it does a fine job of coping without being bouncy or wallow, still well controlled but I’ll firm back up when top down weather comes along. I have them paired with IL MotorSport anti roll bars for full disclosure.

Ride height is adjusted by winding the bottom of the shock body in or out of the bottom mount so preload and stroke is unaffected as it would be on a perch adjustable Coilover. They’re great value, I replaced perfectly good bilstein shocks and am happy, if the shocks were shot I definitely wouldn’t think twice about spending less on these than standard replacements. :+1:

1 Like

Gents thanks for your input, really helpful.

Dean_S550, could I ask whether you used std length anti roll bar drop links or adjustable shorter ones, i guess the question is relevent to anyone who has lowered their car :slight_smile:

I used standard length roll bar links. You can get adjustable ones to put the bars back to a neutral position but I haven’t found it detrimental to the handling and they don’t foul on anything else when working. If I eventually encounter any issues I’d consider up rating to adjustable, apparently mx5 joints on the droplinks have a habit of separating if the car is driven hard.

Dean
Sorry I didnt reply to your message. Good to know the std length drop links should be ok :slight_smile:

No problem :+1: