Bilt Hamber Clay Grade [S/M/R]

Any thoughts on which grade of Bilt Hamber Clay (Soft/Medium/Regular) is best suited to Mazda soft paint?

My understanding was that the BH clay range was designed with the level of expected contamination on the paint in mind, rather than with any view to the paint hardness.

If the vehicle has never been clayed before, I’d go with the regular version. Just bare in mind ambient conditions, as it will need a bit more heat in it compared with the soft version.

Also consider dropping BH a line with any questions. I’ve always found their customer service to be excellent:
technical@bilthamber.com

1 Like

I didn’t use Bilt Hamber but I used the fine one on my Sport Black, off eBay.
I found it was good enough to remove loads of road crud without paint damage.
I just threw the pieces when the clay bar got too loaded.
It hadn’t been done before either.

1 Like

It hasn’t been clayed in my ownership though can’t comment on before, visible contamination is mainly road tar spots, ambient temperature in this part of the world is regularly at the lower end of the spectrum… :snowflake:

Regular if it’s never been done. Wash the car really well first. Then use more soapy water as the lubricant. I usually foam the whole panel I’m working on several tijes as I.m using the bar. Work round the whole car.

I’d not do it in such cold weather BTW

The motor trade use tar remover we got it in 5lit cans. We just put it in a spray bottle and sprayed on the tar.Then wipe off after 5 min’s with a rag, Best to do this out side it stinks.

1 Like

Weather finally appropriate to get out and do it!

Good grief, looks like it’s proved it’s worth there :open_mouth:

The joys of top dressing roads, much better now :slight_smile:

What’s your plan following the clay stage?

I’ve waxed it for now just to have a coating on the paint, will come back later when time/weather coincide for chip treatments (not too bad) and a light polish and wax again.

1 Like

I use AMD clay bar, Only requires water and very good quality and Alan and the team are amazing.

I cant speak for their clay personally but their other products in their range are great. I use Auto-foam for prewash and Auto-Wash as a contact cleaner and both are excellent.

1 Like

Japanese paint is generally soft so I wouldn’t use an aggressive clay for fear of marring. Go soft or medium depending on the contamination you perceive. The BiltHamber clays have a good reputation and you can lubricate them with just water.

I’ve never seen a clay bar pick up that much!