When I Lost My Late Cocker Unexpectedly in 2015
I Could Hardly Get Out of Bed for Six Months
Seemed Final Straw after Other Awful Straws

You’re Grieving and It Will Take Time

BUT I KNEW I COULDN’T BE HOME ALONE
WITHOUT A PET

So Went to Nearest Rescue Centre and Got a Cat

It Was NOT THE SAME !

But Hey…Now I Speak Cat as Well as Cocker Spaniel !

AND Cats Are Low Maintenance in Comparison to Dogs if You’re Having to Work Long Hours Away From Home

It’s Not a Cure But It Helped Me [Now Aged 63.5 yrs]

You Won’t Feel Like Doing It…But Grit Teeth and Perhaps Give It a Go ?

Kindest

4 Likes

Lost this fella about 2 years ago :slightly_frowning_face:

Ended up getting these, could not live without a dog

Barrie

5 Likes

Ditto with this little fella. Some knuckle scraping scumbag stole him one night. Found 3 weeks later on a golf course in Cardiff in a very poorly condition - I am in Doncaster!!!

RSPCA vets built up a £750 bill during the night trying to save him, but he died early morning.

Always wanted to find the scumbag who did it… such a lovely character, and sorely missed.

6 Likes

Sad story Mike,he looks a real character

2 Likes

A colleague of mine wanted a very low maintenance pet and he bought a goldfish in a bowl.

He told me that as a human being with a far superior intellect than a goldfish he was going to hypnotise it, teach it to lip read and communicate with him.

Next time I saw him he was walking in circles and opening and closing his mouth.

6 Likes

Lovely cat Mike :+1: so sad that some scumbag did what they did :astonished:
Pets really are a part of our lives.

Barrie

2 Likes

Worst Nightmare :rage: :cry:

2 Likes

Lots of cuties there. RIP to the big fella. Looks a gentle giant.
Wishing your latest ones many, many years of happiness.

2 Likes

Sorry to read about that. Devastating.
Can’t really write any words to convey how you must feel.
Just to say wish you all the best.

1 Like

I’m really to hear this… everyone… loosing a pet and im horrible ways is even worse… .
My buddy (Staffordshire bull terrier) was old, he was a rescue pup. he tried hard… deaf as a post so was perfect at work as he couldn’t hear the motorcycles go off… loved everyone. Begged for all food… but his kidneys and livers just gave up. £1500 at the vets later… I had to say goodbye.

4 Likes

Sorry to read that.
Pathetic piece of sick, worthless, scum trash who did that to him. Born evil. Waste of space.

2 Likes

You can never “replace” them, cat or dog it is their individuality and quirks that we love about them. Just 10 days ago we had to say goodbye to our tabby, Nash, at only 9 years old. His kidneys had both packed up completely so we had to make that tough call. My wife volunteers at a cat & dog rescue centre near Shrewsbury where she’s been caring for 2 litters of kittens (10 altogether, all dumped in a single carrier on the roadside a few weeks ago) so today we are going to pick up two of them (Dudley & Dave) as we have been approved for adopting. It isn’t a case of replacing Nash, he lives with us in our hearts. Partly it is to give his sister, Daisy, a companion as she’s a little bit lost without him. Mostly it is because we love cats, their company, and want to give these two the best life that we can. I also ride a bike (Diversion) and it chokes me whenever I go into the garage because Nash would always tag along then jump onto the seat or climb over the tank to be near to me … you just can’t replace that, but you can have new experiences. Don’t leave it too long :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Sad to read about Nash, and you’re right in that we don’t really ‘replace’ them.
Wish you all the best with your new kittens and I’m sure Daisy will get them into shape soon enough.

Personally I went 11 years after my last dog died until me and the Mrs got our dog now, who we got 2 years ago as a puppy.

2 Likes

What ‘person’ could ever do this. Makes me sick.

4 Likes

During the first lockdown our local news reported on the increasing demand for cats/dogs especially pedigree pets and the various representaives interviewed reminding people to make sure that post-lockdown they’d be able to continue looking after their new pets.

After the third lockdown our local news reported on the increasing amounts of rescue animals…

A few years ago we lost one of our cats to a complication caused by a (presumed cancerous) growth and my parents had to make “the decision” at the vets. It happened the night before the scheduled operation which would have had the growth removed which made it all the worse. Within a year my Dad died of cancer. And just as we were starting to get over that (feel like leaving the house etc.) the pandemic occurred and locked us down again.

2 Likes

I’ve worked in rescues… so seen some horrors… with regards to a new pet. I’m stuck… im lucky and can take my dog to work every day. Couldn’t have one otherwise as I work so much.
Buddy was deaf so motorcycles going off was no problem.
Puppies are extortionate prices… I cannot afford to buy one.
Rescue won’t adopt to me as I work full time in what would they say a dangerous environment. (I’ve tried 7 different places)
I cannot get a cat… as I live by a huge woodland country park. And everyday there are foxes and badgers. They would murder a cat no question.

1 Like

Adult babies. How can someone have a ‘IQ’ not to know that after lockdown, things would be different. Can’t work people out sometimes. Or can’t work out their ‘intelligence’.

And as Ambasize said in an above post, how she’s seen some horrors, working in rescues.
What the f is wrong with people. Not many things in life get under my skin, but sickos doing stuff to dogs/cats etc (any animal) is one of them. And those pet nappers too? I won’t even comment on that as I’ll write something I don’t want to.

2 Likes

My uncle has both a cat and fox living side by side (well, I don’t know if the fox goes in the house - it probably does) - mind you from his description the cat is probably more agressive than the fox.

Our cats were inherited and as they were always indoor pets we’ve kept them as such, in a way this makes you feel more nervous if they should ever get out of the house, while all our previous cats were outdoor cats.

As a child I remember some adolescents in a town close to me being arrested for using a hedgehog as a football - I was mad keen on hedgehogs, visited sancturies etc. so this has stuck with me.
As an adolescent in a new area I’d moved to, there were warnings of people with air rifles shooting pets.
As an adult in yet another new area I hear about pet nappers on the local news and am so glad our cats are indoor cats just because I’d be worrying too much.

1 Like

Worthless scum. Two words which describe them. Same for the pet nappers. Worthless scum.
No one who wasn’t born evil could do that.

2 Likes