Bitterns and the Jets. Wednesday 14th August

A chance to see wonders of the air, feathered and alu-composite. Leaving Sainsbury’s, Longwater and traveling mainly on B roads we head for a breakfast/coffee stop. This will be a simple westwards route, about 45 mins, pressing on when we can. Whether a Full English or just a coffee depends on you but best to stoke up as next stop involves a walk.

Then on to Lakenheath Fen (RSPB members free, otherwise £4 pp) and a shortish walk to an observation hide in search of the elusive and superb bird, the Bittern. Hopefully both adults and young will be seen - no promises.

Next up a short hop to RAF Lakenheath’s viewing area to see the jets, mainly F15 variants. not sure if Benny will be there though! A good day to bring a camera and pair of binoculars.

Finally a more varied return run to Norwich. Those leaving us along the route please be at the back otherwise I’ll be up front wondering where you all disappeared to. The route will take us along some single track, ex-drove roads, but all surfaced through Thetford Forest before joining B roads. If folk feel the need for a cuppa we can stop in Hingham.

Meet 9.15am (note this is slightly earlier for our midweek runs than usual) at Sainsbury’s, Longwater, NR5 0JS

ROUTE DIRECTIONS are attached - please print off copies.

Cheers, David (H)

Those signed up are:

David & Rosemary

Allan & Jean

Gella & Mick

Laurie

Kevin (East of England member)

Jim & Karen

Hello David

can you put Allan and Jean would like to do this midweek run

tThankyou.  

Allan & Jean

Hi David, good for this one for both Gella and Mick.

Gella & Mick

Welcome to this ‘Run’, you’re on the list.

David

Hi David,

Please could you add us to this event? We are both RSPB members and I’m  a plane nut! (BSF)

Great idea the mid week runs, especially now I’m retired!

Thanks,

David and Nicola 

David & Nicola
Will add you forthwith.
David

Hi David,

Could you put me down for this one please. As usual for me, I’ll need to leave before the rest of the group.

Thanks,
Laurie

Laurie,
Glad to have you (& your camera) along.
David

Hi David,

Im in the Eastern Area and live in Diss. Wondering whether I can join you guys on this trip, meeting you at Mundford when you stop for breakfast?

If ok what sort of time do you think that you might arrive there - looking at the route Im guessing 10 to 10.15 ish?

Cheers,

Kevin.

Hi Kevin,

You are very welcome to join Norfolk Fives. Next Wednesday’s run is one of a series of mid week runs that I introduced this year. Seemed a shame that members who could get out on a weekday didn’t get together.
Meet you at Brown’s Cafe right beside the roundabout in Mundford, I reckon arrival 10.15am.

Oh,what model are you driving?

Cheers David (Holloway)

I will be driving a 2013 MK3.75 MX-5 Sports Graphite in Aquatic Blue - Reg: KE07 TME.

See you Wednesday.

Cheers Kevin

Gutted! 

Sorry David but we are going to have to pull out as I cannot drive at the moment, my left knee blown up with Gout so out of action for a while.

Hope trip goes well and will look out for some photos.

David and Nicola 

Hi David,

I must remember to bring along a selection of lens wipes to cope with the anticipated inclement weather. Even with a mid-range zoom rather than the short zoom that is almost invariably on my camera, birds at a distance will still be small specs. However, we will see.

I completely forgot to post a few pictures from the Krazy Horse visit. Will do so after this visit. Mind you, I’m not sure what the autofocus on the camera was doing on a few of the shots as what it was focusing on definitely wasn’t what I had in mind.

Laurie

Delete please wrong event

Thanks for organising David and letting me tag along.

Hope to see you soon.

Cheers, Kevin.

David

thankyou for today’s bittens and jets

Plenty of jets but penguin spot highlight!!

rain did not spoil good event

Allan. And Jean

Started out nice. Super Full English at Brown’s, Mundford. Then, the 2nd Wednesday in the month curse on us happened - it rained.

In spite of the rain we watched lots of jets landing at Lakenheath, a good day.

1 Like

Love this shot, should have put it in for the calendar.