Blood donors

Just wondering if we have many blood donors on the forum and wanting to encourage everyone to donate, if they can.

I came down with covid after 3 years of managing to avoid it, I’m fully vaccinated but due to an underlying auto-immune disorder that destroys my red blood cells, (I usually only have about 3/4 of the amount normal healthy people do), I had a 4 day hospital stay and needed 2 units of blood. This is the 3rd blood transfusion I’ve had in 8 years and each time I’ve been down to half or just under half of the amount that normal folk have.
I cnt donate myslef as I’ve had transfusions, need all I have to begin with and also have blood cancer, though it’s low grade and indolent, so doesn’t really affect my day to day life.

Hospital was OK but I was isolated due to being positive for covid, without being vaccinated I’d probably still be in there just now - or worse!
Nurses I can’t praise highly enough, what wonderful caring people they all are.

So as you may appreciate I’m quite a zealot in encouraging people to donate blood.

Please, please, please if you can donate blood then do, it only takes an hour and you get a cup of tea and a biscuit afterwards.

You’ve got it in you to save a life!!!

3 Likes

I was a donor until I think 1991. Then I had a perforated ulcer and was given 2 units of blood which I could probably have managed without.

As you say, unless the policy has changed they won’t have it back once you’ve had a transfusion. I was always up for a lie down, cup of tea and a few biscuits.

What a great topic. I gave my first pint a couple of weeks ago. Took about an hour all told, most of which was waiting before and after, no side effects at all, and a KitKat when I’d done. I was so impressed by the organisation, the follow up and got told my blood group which I never knew before, and even where my donation had been sent.

It took me years to get around to finally doing it having signed up, but I’ll be there again.

So if you’ve thought about it, just do it. :slightly_smiling_face:

It depends when you’re transfusion was. My wife can’t donate as she had blood in 1987 at which time it’s wasn’t being screen for CJD I think it was, but I’m pretty sure there is a cut off date after which the risk of you having received “infected” blood is such you can donate even after a transfusion.

2 Likes

After 104 donations I tried recently during a shortage of O-Neg, but found it too painful for my old scarred veins. Still I would recommend anyone who is considering to give it a go. It’s a lot easier now then when I started in 1973

3 Likes

Just looked it up - no donating to the blood bank if you’ve drawn anything out after 1979

Who can’t donate blood

You can’t donate blood if you:

• have had most types of cancer
  • have some heart conditions
  • have received blood, platelets, plasma or any other blood products after 1 January 1980
  • have tested positive for HIV
  • have had an organ transplant
  • are a hepatitis B carrier
  • are a hepatitis C carrier
  • have injected non-prescribed drugs including body-building and injectable tanning agents. You may be able to give if a doctor prescribed the drugs

There are other medical conditions that may mean you can’t donate.

https://www.blood.co.uk/who-can-give-blood/

2 Likes

Yep :+1:t3:
O neg :white_check_mark::white_check_mark: super blood :drop_of_blood:

I am still donating, up to about number 85 I think. They used to stop you giving at sixty but I’m still going at 69! My veins are pretty elusive but the blood is still up to scratch so I’ll continue as long as I can :blush:.

1 Like

Yep, regular donor, A Rh Neg, recently called for a shortage so would thoroughly recommend anyone to go if you can.

I used to give blood but was then diagnosed with pernicious anaemia and the blood donation service was no longer interested in my blood. However, I think I’ll get checked out and will resume donations if I’m cleared to do so. Sorry about your experience with Covid. I managed to avoid Covid despite working in A&E during lockdown and then caught it on holiday last year. It knocked me for six but I’ve mostly recovered. Good luck with your recovery.

Yes, thank you, I didn’t appreciate the restriction continued like that. I’ll be honest the screening form they send you to fill in made me laugh, with all its very personal questions about, shall we say, adult activities. I didn’t fill mine in until just before the donation day just in case I went on some sort of mad bender in the run up?

I try to look the other way when I’m donating as the sight of it makes me feel funny, but still managed about 83 donations so far. I did try donating platelets but that didn’t agree with me so went back to giving whole blood. For an hour or so of your time every now and then it is a very easy way to help those who really do need the stuff.

I started giving blood in the early 80’s, lapsed when I got married in ‘85 and started again after that. I’ve given 53 donations, got the gold badge and then they stopped me giving when they discovered I’d had a TIA. Damn and double blast !! Got away with it for a few years and never felt I was at any risk, but the big white chief said no. I had been called in for extra donations as I’m A+ and a sickly cancer patient needed help which makes you feel very privileged to think you may just be helping to save a life.

Got to say folks, the responses to this make my heart sing. So good to know that there are decent folk out there showing grate levels of altruism. So important to keep donating, everyone should go for the gold badge :slight_smile:

I’m well on the mend, probably about 97%, might even try and get back to the gym and a wee swim this weekend.

For the record I’m A+ blood group - the best of people - but I could be ever so slightly biased :slight_smile:

2 Likes

82 donations and still counting.
54 so hoping to get well into the hundreds.

Only thing that slightly peeves me about giving is that the scarcity of donations places makes it less convenient than it use to be and my wife is O neg and she gets calls all the time because she is “special “ :joy::joy:

yes, opportunities around here seem to be few and far between which is why it took me years from registering to first donation, as it needs to be a bit spontaneous in my head, rather than something you book months ahead. Having said that and now I’ve broken my duck the second pint is booked in for April now.

It’s as if they were listening. I’ve just had a text message saying they need to collect more blood right now to guarantee supply to patients in real need. You can call them on 0300 123 2323, or visit blood.co.uk to book an appointment.

1 Like

My father uses to work at the Army blood supply depot in Aldershot… every time i went home from being a Marine he used to bleed me, carried on giving as a civie, must be up around 60 to 70 units now.
Respect to all those that give that can

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.