Bluestuff vs Yellowstuff - EBC pads

I had a chat with a mate - he does a lot of trackdays (he actually got himsef a race licence this year)
he rated the pads he went through from worst to best in terms to cost and how much he got out of them.
For the MX5 NC Calipers
EBC Green
EBC Blue
Mintex F4R
Mintex 1166
winmax w5

using the rx8 disks and pads
RX8 EBC Blue
RX8 winmax w5
using the rx8 disks, calipers and pads, you will get twice as many trackdays compared to the stock callipers. its because you need more braking force. Its because its a bigger disk and bigger pad the heat is spread to more area and they last a lot more.

Note that the list above its about worst to best in terms to cost per trackday and for both options the winmax w5 was the best for him in terms of cost effectiveness.

So winmax w5 is what I’m going for.
Maybe i will change the disks and calipers to the rx8 if i find them cheap ish

1 Like

I can get 1166 at very reasonable price, and is likely the one I’ll go for. Yes, Winmax likely better, but twice the cost. Cost per use the 1166 feels like better value :slight_smile:

Twice the cost but from what he told me they would last more than twice the tracking so eventually its cheaper per session.

1 Like

Yes but as I’ve found out from my time with pagid RSL1 and carbotech, that pads that solid will be a nightmare off the track as well :slightly_smiling_face:

As car is mixed use (for now) the 1166 are a bit less irritating

Fair play that :+1:

1 Like

Worth coming back to note that I’ve been running 1166 for a while now, and even under fairly hard track use they’ve lasted well… around four track days and probably will get a 5th out the set before it’s time to replace. Given they can be had for about £100 an axle, I think they’re a bargain.

They don’t like getting crazy hot though, so as you start getting maybe 5-6 laps down, they start to feel a little juddery and less consistent. They cool down and come back to you fairly quickly though.

1 Like