Bolster repair

20200623_073829

From what I have read it seems this is normal for a driver seat bolster, where the leather shows excess wear from getting in and out of the car.

Can anyone offer an estimated likely cost of repairing this, and of anyone recommended in the Doncaster or surrounding area, who is worth approaching to carry out such a repair please?

I would try an inexpensive fix on that first, maybe one of those leather balms.
Is it a Mk3?
I’ve bought some coloured balm and applied it to my seat, the side bolster has wear scuffs and cracking on the surface. I’d call it the leather surface but I don’t really think it’s pukka leather as such on the Mk3. I keep applying the balm every so often it hides the scuffs but not a complete fix as they start to show through again, but I’m happy with it.
As you say a proper repair would be to replace the section.

2 Likes

Yes, it is a Mk3. I use Meguiars leather spray conditioner, which looks fine for a short while (until it dries), and then I am back to what the pic shows.

What sort of coloured balm do you use please?

Hi on my Mk3 I have used cherry blossom scratch/scuff cover

This was to fix smaller areas of damage but the colour stays well , maybe a combination of a balm and this could help you out

Regards

Kev

2 Likes

You can easily do it yourself. I followed this video. It made a huge improvement.
https://www.themx5restorer.co.uk/2020/01/diy-leather-seat-refurbishment-how-to-guide/

1 Like

I just did a repair to the leather in my Jaguar using an old tin of Kiwi Revive shoe polish for scuffed shoes. The area wasn’t as big as yours but it worked fine.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone, time to have a go I think. Although after watching the video, the sanding part fills me with a touch of trepidation…

MInes the same, I tried a black leather dye, but it doesn’t look any better to be honest.
Instead of the grey worn out patch, I now have a black worn out patch.

I spoke to a company in Wakefield, somewhere on the Thornes trading estate.
(about 2 years ago).
The guy siad “Without looking at it, about £60 to replace the side bolster.”
My plan was to remove the seat during my sorn period, but like most things, i never got around to it.

This rings a bell
http://bumsonseatswakefield.co.uk

2 Likes

I used Kiwi and it worked well but I reckon it’s good to cover the whole section, not just the worn patch.

Have a look around this website, a few “how tos” on there.

https://www.furnitureclinic.co.uk/Applications?apid=2

I use this, my seats are red…

https://www.furnitureclinic.co.uk/Leather_Recolouring_Balm

It’s a bit pricey, I just keep applying it every so often. I just apply it to the scuffed area not the whole seat as it doesn’t do anything to rest (doesn’t soak in) Do buff well afterwards, you don’t want your nice light trousers covered in dye👍

1 Like

I would highly recommend using Liquid Leather Leather Dye which has a built-in sealant bought direct from Gliptone Leather UK

. The customer service which they provided me with was first class and they mixed up a dye that was a perfect match for my seats. They ask for a small swatch (2 inches x 2 inches) which I cut from the excess leather at the back of the passenger seat. The dye came with clear instructions and you can judge for yourself the result I obtained from the before and after photos…
I had previously tried balms and other applications, but these were a waste of time.

3 Likes

Based on what @MickAP has to say, i’ve ordered a coloured leather balm.
However, I’m a tight yorkshireman so went for this.

I’ll keep you posted.

3 Likes

OK, thanks.

I had the exact same problem on my NC. I watched a few videos on youtube about car seat leather repair and I decided to try a simple fix myself. Firstly, I used the Autoglym leather cleaner and I gave it a couple of applications, as it’s very important that the surface is clean before attempting the next stage. Once the area was dry, I used a black leather balm that I bought on ebay for about £5. After a couple of applications, it’s amazing to see the difference the balm makes. I now apply the balm to the area every time I clean the interior to keep the finish maintained.

2 Likes