Bonnet respray jet black

1. My model of MX-5 is: __nd 2019
  2. I’m based near: __
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __
    I am thinking of getting my bonnet resprayed in the near future looks great when it’s overcast but when the sun shines on it there is a hell of a lot of stone chips. the colour is jet black would this be a easy colour to match or not I wouldn’t want to have it done and it doesn’t match up with the rest of the car if that would be the case I’d rather stick with the stone chips

Maybe get it wrapped? that way you keep the original paint on the car which most people prefer should you ever decide to sell.

My experience is that the bumpers don’t match the metal panels on plenty of MX-5s (including my own) with original paint. When the light catches my car (Soul Red) in a certain way, the metal and plastic panels are obviously slightly different colours.

1 Like

It’ll look like turkey teeth.
When I had a new front bumper they sprayed the bumper, wings and bonnet to blend it all in.
(Insurance job, Copper Red).
The boss of the paint shop said he had never managed to achieve a match with just one panel.

This above, black is a colour that’s hard to get matched, reds, whites too.
I had mine sprayed up at the front, they had to blend the bonnet and wings too.
You’d never know it’s had a paint job there, apart from the fact it’s chip free now even 12 months on, I reckon better than the original Mazda factory paint.

1 Like

Chips away managed an absolutely lperfect match, whereas the professional body shop couldn’t, and that’s with a solid color. Even before then, the Mazda OEM paint would look slightly different in strong sunlight- the RF panel slightly different from the steel wings and doors, the aluminium boot and bonnet another colour and the bumpers either end yet another!

flat colours are easier to match than metallic a good paintshop should match that ok
edit that didn’t see it was jet black thats a mica that will be hard to match unless you are a really good painter