Bonnet Struts ND

Bonnet strut kit for my rf arrived this morning from China. Basic kit all in black, 2 brackets for the wings 2 for the bonnet and 4 longer bolts for where the new brackets fit around the deployers.
Straight forward fit, remove existing bolts holding the deployers, new bracket slides over the top, bolt it down, they are handed so check. Undo top most bolt on the hinge bracket on the bonnet and fit the bracket again handed.
Half hours work.
Fitting rams to the brackets another matter, an extra pair of hands needed to compress them.
For 30 quid worth it for the brackets, time will tell on the rams.

4 Likes

Link ???

AliExpress or Wish? How long for delivery?
Does the bonnet open progressively or shoot up alarmingly?

Apologies for the interrogation!

I wonder why MX5 Parts don’t sell something similar if they don’t interfere with the bonnet crash protection as this has always been a popular mod on NA,B & C. I hate the manual prop.

I bought them from Wish 23 + 10 for delivery, I’m. a regular user and was expecting to have wait but it looks like they have stock local as they arrived after just over a week.
It doesn’t fly up, you have to release the locking clip as normal and then lift but it is powerful so I hold back, just in case. When up it is higher than with the prop.
Will add some more pics when I get the chance, just fitting a front parking cam phone operated.

2 Likes

Just ordered a set, look same as yours Total cost £26.70 delivered. There is a code THX2020 for a discount of 10% on Wish at the moment.

They all seem to be ND struts and mine is an NC… :frowning:

I’m struggling to find the exact one you have bought, could you post a link please? Cheers

Many thanks

Some more pics, in particular the one showing the whole bonnet notice the red rings, I don’t know how constant Mazda is with panel gaps but with the bonnet now opening further the top is going deeper into the Bay and on my car there is very little room for error, not much more than a fag paper, I’ll be keeping an eye on it, at the end of the day how often do you raise the bonnet. When I fitted the kit I just raised the bonnet, might be worth having someone there to check on your First lift, I was lucky.

Hi

I know this is an old thread but have there been any issue with the struts since installing them?

Thanks

Jason

@DennisR @jason-brown
Look at this link, I am only concerned about your safety and others…
https://forum.mx5oc.co.uk/t/nd-bonnet-lifters/113038

I’ve read the thread and as far as I can see there’s no confirmed evidence either way from people that have and are using them to those that don’t or won’t depending on your/their point of view. Like any modification to our cars a lot of it comes down to personal choice.

As a biker I’m more worried about ‘other’ drivers on the road and their perceived perception, than a simple mod I’ve carried out on my car. If i see any deterioration or issues they’ll be removed.

2 Likes