Both dip beam lights and side lights gone everything else working?

1. My model of MX-5 is: __nc 2
  2. I’m based near: __grantham
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __
    Dip beam fuse location.

Hey all.
Was out tonight and found that both dip beams and side lights were not working.
Hi beams work.
Fogs work.
Indicators work.

Seems odd that both dips go at exact same time and the little side lights too.
Hoping its a fuse.
Couldnt see much in dark without my reading glasses.

Can anybody tell me which fuse is for the dips please?

1 Like

Cheers mate.
I just got home and saw your link.
I checked the correct fuses while i was out.
They looked ok but hard to tell in dark and withl no glasses.

Looks like both bulbs might have just blown at the same time.
Damn things only got put in 6 weeks ago too.
If they are i will try standard bulbs this time instead of brighter ones.
And start looking into an led conversation.

Seems to be bulb failure for the two sidelights, but could be fuses for the dip beams as well as bulb failure.

But what you say is odd, do any of the other sidelights work, eg tail and number plate lights?

The Main fusebox is in the front left corner under the bonnet (as seen from inside the car), fuses are labelled in the diagram moulded inside its black lid. There should be an extractor tool parked in the lid.

In it the “Tail” fuse supplies “TNS relay” and this switches on all the small “Exterior lights” front and back, and TNS also feeds the “Illum” fuse (inside the passenger footwell) for the “Interior” lights.

Also in the Main fusebox the Headlight relay “Head” only feeds three fuses;
Each Dip beam has its own fuse “Low L” and “Low R”,
Main beam has another fuse “Head” which also lights the high beam warning light on the dash.

However, on other cars I’ve owned in the past, often both dip beams failed at almost the same time. Too often to be coincidence.
A pair would usually have been replaced at the same time as a pair even if only one had failed, and they’ll have the same number of “turn-on-shocks” and expected life, so it’s possible.

2 Likes

Out of interest, what brand of bulbs did you fit? Did you fit new dipped bulbs and sidelights at the same time?

Could be a faulty batch I guess?

nothing to do with getting soaked?
I love my MX5 NC, BUT - General Discussion Forums / MX-5 Chat - MX-5 Owners Club Forum (mx5oc.co.uk)

the last ones were ring pro ones from Halfords.

and

no, it wasn’t raining last night

the guy at the garage I went too to borrow the ramp says it’s likely the reason why my dips blow so often is a combo of high mileage, lots of stop and starting where the lights get put off and on, and stiffer suspension!

Only time I had two bulbs blow at the same time was a forerunner to the alternator packing up. It was a diesel Ford and the turbo leaked into the alternator and made it put spikes into the electrics. I’d try and check the charging situation although spotting spikes is going to be difficult without an oscilloscope.
I certainly don’t buy the ‘bulbs are the same age so blow at the same time’ line. Utter nonsense in my opinion.

Yeah the bulbs usually blow within a few weeks of each other.
First time i evervsaw 2 go at the same time, they were put in a week apart this last time.

As to whats really causing it.
The combo of mileage, on off and stiffer suspension sounds plausable.
But if its that then why does the interior light keep going as well?.

Tbh i think i need something to monitor for spikes that i can leave on the car for a period of time rather than a 5 min tickover test in a garage.

My problem is i know nothing about car electrics.
Learnt my chops on cars built in the 70s and 80s. Which lets be honest didnt have much in the way of electronics

Motorcycle spec H7 bulbs are generally stronger construction to put up with higher vibration and shocks.
They look and work the same as car bulbs but the filament is tougher.

I’ll put £on a faulty light switch…

Mate, go for the Long Life H7’s.
They are in my Volvo and recommended OE.
“Generally” Will last a lot longer. :+1:
I am not even going to mention any brand either!! :wink:

Had to put in more halfords bulbs.
Was a right pain.
Managed to find a garage yesterday morning that could do it then there.
Paid to have them changed as i dont like rolling around under cars and the didnt do the pas side correctly.
It came unclipped and started melting something.
So i spent my first hour at work rolling around under the car trying to do it myself anyway.

Anyway this time i am definatly not going to forget i need to sort it and either order some longlife bulbs or order an led adaption kit if there is such a thing for the nc2.

2 Likes

Good man and hopefully will be sorted soon.
I currently believe that you are not allowed to convert from halogen to led (including just bulbs) for the headlights.
As currently it is an automatic fail.
Rather annoying, but that is the legality of it all. :roll_eyes::+1:

Existing halogen headlamp units on vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1986 must not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs .

1 Like

I feel your pain. My driver’s side dipped failed yesterday and I managed to swap the bulb via the engine bay this afternoon with a spare I had, but only after much effing & jeffing.

First time I’ve been grateful to have small hands.

Had considered upgrading the bulbs but can’t be bothered if they’re prone to going pop that easily.