Bournemouth to Paris am i bonkers? 🏉

Message came through Tuesday morning.
Mate of mine has got us 2 tickets to the rugby world cup semi final.

Spent the next 4 hours looking at all the travel options.
Booked a plane. Message back later saying plane operator cancelled. Rebook at 150% price increase. No thanks.

Eurostar and Ferry researched. No go for time and money.

Left field. Drive and use the channel tunnel.

Even more bonkers choice. Leave the Ioniq5 (EV) in the driveway and squeeze into the MX5 for the 700 mile trip.
Watch the game, sink some beers, get 40 winks then do it all again the next day.

Bonkers for going in the mx5?

Edit.

2008 NC Niseko

3 Likes

Crit’Air clean air stickers ?

Going to be a bit tight if you haven’t got one already.

Don’t think that’s an issue on weekends?

It’ll be on the telly.

My driving is good…
But not tv worthy good.

What a great adventure.
Hope you give it a shot :clap:

You probably won’t have time to bring us all a blow by blow account but if you do it would be magic fun to follow along with your escapades.

Good luck and enjoy every moment. :+1:

Cheers,
Guy

1 Like

Correct, Crit Air zone only applies Monday to Friday, from 8am to 8pm.

As for the MX-5 question, do you really need to ask? Go for it! :checkered_flag:

2 Likes

Was thinking of doing a write up for soft top hard top.
Will also update here.

The mx5 will fit in the train much better than a bloated new car!

Allez, allez! It’ll be an adventure!

1 Like

Certainly will be. Car prepped, travel essentials ready.

Snacks. Just need snacks…

1 Like

CritAir email you a temporary version you can put in the windscreen, seems to have worked for me in the summer going through Paris.
Bournemouth to Paris is mere bagatelle, we did Dordogne to Romsey in 13hours including the two and half hours waiting for euro tunnel to get their derrière or rather trains in order. In an ND with 2weeks luggage!

No to the car you won’t enjoy driving all that way it will be totally unreliable. Oh hang on that’s other cars. Just do it what will you remember in years to come the rugby game or the time you drove your Mazda to France.

1 Like

A bit uncomfortable vs memories made. It’s an eay choice right?

Edited the OP

My car is a 2008 NC Niseko

2 Likes

sounds like fun. French motorways are far superior than ours and if you want to get there then they will be your best bet. Staying off them is nice but takes forever to make any real progress. So factor in there are going to be tolls between tunnel and Paris and prepare your passenger for dealing with those which can be a challenge in a low MX-5. (toll tag is the answer if you have time, wonderful things!)
Check insurance covers you for France, check breakdown cover as well (even with an MX-5), take all your documents, V5, insurance, MOT, stick a warning triangle in the car and hi viz jackets which I think have to be in passenger compartment in case you have to get out on a motorway. Don’t forget if travelling at night you mustn’t dazzle, so turn your headlights down, (beam deflectors if you feel the need and they work on your lights) ,
Having a Crit air doesn’t necessarily mean you can drive in their ulezs, as there are various levels, so just check that for your location, i suspect Paris is the strictest, but as above you get one emailed to you before the copy arrives in the post.
And enjoy the drive…

2 Likes

If you have a passenger tolls are easy (card swipe),
BUT
Beware some of the toll booths have v high and viscious kerbs vs Mx-5!
Have fun

1 Like

Shake N’ Bake! :fist_right::checkered_flag::rugby_football::trophy:

1 Like

Not necessarily, the machines are situated at “normal” or SUV driver height, which means they can be difficult to reach for the passenger and from down low the screen is hard to read. If your passenger is not that tall, he/she may have to stand on the seat.
I speak from experience :wink:

4.45am start. Picked up friend at 5.15am

Arrived at the tunnel 8am in driving rain. Car didnt miss a beat.

Put the roof down before exiting the shuttle and fir 30 minutes before the rain came.

Arrived in Paris (just outside) at 2pm.

First beer being drunk now.

7 Likes

Superb! Enjoy :rugby_football: