Brake fail. Need New caliper. West Midlands?

Does anyone have a front brake caliper and mounting bracket?
Driving back from work… could smell something.
Front drivers side brakes have failed and caught fire.
I cant afford new, plus pads and discs.
As its all burnt. :pensive:
I have the worst luck…

Blimey, that must have been near impossible to drive if the brakes were stuck that badly. In my opinion, new parts are pretty cheap anyway so it’s a bit foolish to fit second hand safety related items like brakes. You could do the lot in new for less than £150 for both sides.

Pattern calipers are cheap.

Used 1.6 front brackets

Autolink have recon (£50-60) 1.6 calipers, but only 1.8 new-pattern calipers (£40).

I wouldn’t touch used. I have a couple of sticking front calipers lying around which I was going to bin.

Actually caught fire and damaged the metal? Or just smoked away? If they were on fire, you wll need new brake lines etc as well. Otherwise, if really on a budget, try a rebuild kit.

The wheel wobble was awful… this is why I carry a fire extinguisher in my car…
Guess I’m not going to the mx5 rally on Sunday…
Scared me…I shall have to leave it standing. As I dont have 150 per side.

I’ll have to leave it standing. So I can save… perks of being poor ! :joy:
Twas a fire… this is whybi carry an extinguisher. Just incase.
I shall have the car inspected and get a total of what I need…

You won’t have to save that much. New calipers with brackets are £46 per side, plus a set of discs & pads @ £47 per pair is £139 total for both sides. Plus labour of course. A lot of mechanics at the moment seem to think they can charge more than a premier League footballer earns, but that is another subject altogether. I would rekon about an hour, maybe an extra half hour tops to do both sides.

Luckily for me. I can fit them at work… boss said he’ll help as he’s an ex car mechanic. So I save on labour.
But I don’t have 130£ either. So will have to save.

Ah right ok. Whilst he is under there then maybe ask for a pay rise?

1 Like

The carrier is solid metal; that should not require replacing.
This kit is a full refurb kit for both front calipers. This is a job you should be able to do yourself :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you ! Not sure on damage atm until it gets taken to work and stripped to see what I need.
Defo need discs as its gone blue…

Good luck with it. I can think of many reasons some folk have for carrying a fire extinguisher but ‘just in case my brakes catch fire’ isn’t one of them!!

1 Like

Strangely enough. I was given it by boss. As when we were in the work van collecting a bike. The van caught fire. Brakes had seized just like mine today !!
That’s why I have it.

Just remembered you have a NB.

Brand new caliper; £39 plus vat, but there is a decent discount for OC members

Pads, £12.99 plus vat

https://www.mx5parts.co.uk/front-discs-aftermarket-mk1-mk2-25-brake-p-537.html

Discs £46, but I reckon you can get cheaper than that.

1 Like

Thank you. After hunting around I shall have to save for new gear. Calipers… lines, discs and pads.
I’ll sort it eventually. Just gutted I can’t go the rally as kept.myaelf cooped up for awhile and needed some freedom. That backfired…

Credit card??

No. No credit card… that will ruin me.

You don’t have to be in your MX-5 to attend the rally, any car is ok just have to park in a different place👍

Back luck on your brakes failing right now.:-1:

1 Like

Hi Amber.
Couldn’t you use your CX3? (You don’t have to bring your mx5) Or even your bike?
A mate of mine had a similar issue, (not an mx5) but took the bodge it route.
Wheel off, pads jemmied out, mole grips on the brake hose, tank tape holding the mole grips out the way of anything, wheel back on, job done. He did have to leave extra stopping distance, though…
Hope you can get there tomorrow.

1 Like

Its just the perk isn’t it… taking the mx5. Just cleaned and waxed it. Filled the tank ready for the drive. Means I have to fill to CX3 tank… and I just can’t justify it… this month has just been anit bad with new tyres… insurance renewals… brakes and calipers etc etc.

I would never ever advocate anyone getting into debt. Personally, I’ve not used a credit card since the early 90’s bar a trip to Oz 4 years back.
What I did use it for then deliberately was to buy hotels & stuff in Australia so if anything went Pete Tong, I was covered by Ccard Law. Mastercard would reimburse me, and they would chase the vendor.
I paid it off in full when I got back to Scotchlandshire…and that’s the point. I paid no interest.
If you want, call your provider and see about yours. In short, if you box clever, you could pau it off in one or two slices and not incur charges.
But:
Be Careful. If in doubt…leave out.

2 Likes