Brake Noise Issue

1. My model of MX-5 is: __NC3 2013
  2. I’m based near: __Stoke
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __

I’ve had my NC for a year now, bought from main dealer away from home. Taken in to local main dealer for rear brake dragging noise at slow speed last Aug, they striped and cleaned but did not replace anything. I had to pay as not under Mazda warranty I have - fair enough - just wanted it fixed.

Today in for major service/MOT and look at past issue as it came back after few months. Not looked at in detail at all only given price to strip and clean again, feel a bit let down.

Should it really need doing on such a short repeat, more money and inconvenience. A bit strange that they say it’s urgent but would rather have me come back another day as only told on collection. I check the rear wheels and they don’t get hot, it’s just an annoying noise as you feather the brakes to a stop - things don’t seem to add up?

Thanks
Chris

2 Likes

Is it just one side that is making this noise?

David

I think it’s both sides but I notice the driver’s side more.

2 Likes

Have you tested by jacking up the rear wheels and rotating them?

It sounds as if they didnt do a very good job last time. You might want to take the car somewhere else to have it fixed.

David

2 Likes

Thanks David.

I can’t jack the car up at the moment, but it rolls without resistance - so not sure - more of a squeaking noise when near to stopping slowly - not noticeable when reducing speed and carrying on or heavy breaking.

It has full dealer service history, so that’s the reason I went back to my local main dealer - I may call them and ask what faith they have in their ‘fix’ can I get credit to proper resolution if it does not work again.

Chris

Chris,

I would talk to the service manager and point out – show him the invoice! – that the problem you paid to have fixed last August has returned. Obviously, this should not be so. Face to face discussion should help.

Best,

David

2 Likes

Possibly…
The slide pins need lubrication.
Maybe the shims or clips are missing or even both.
Worse scenario both caliper pistons are sticking.
I’ve had also (with new pads) them sticking in the clips, a little filing has sorted them.
On a Mk1’s rear brakes I’ve had the opposite, the pads annoyingly rattled in the clips as they were too loose.

Another car (not MX-5) the discs were so rusted on the rear face (unseen by the mechanic) they were noisy in operation. That car had new pads ruined before another mechanic spotted the problem. New discs and pads second time around.

If of course they were completely stripped lubed and reassembled correctly with the appropriate clips shims then a second pair of eyes/opinion is needed.:+1:

1 Like

Thanks for the replies.

My faith in this dealer is not that great now, but they are convenient to use. I’ll see if I can talk to the service manager.

Best regards
Chris

1 Like

Good luck! I think you have a strong case.

David

1 Like

Replace the calipers with aftermarket ones…my cars a 2011 and had two gradually fail. Bit the bullet and had all four done…best thing I did. Maybe change two at a time.

3 Likes

Rear discs ON MY NC were noisy when braking. The discs had bad corrosion/pitting on both sides right near the outside diameter but just far enough in for the pads to catch. New discs and pads sorted the problem.