Brake seizures on MX5

Hi, if the brakes seize up on your MX5 It doesn’t necessarily mean the callipers are at fault …. My front brake recently seized up. I immediately thought ah New Calliper needed …
But NO ! It was the “sliders” that were at fault not the calliper itself, When the sliders need lubricating. The Calliper cannot find its correct place on the Disc It becomes rigid and Acts like a faulty calliper…
When in fact it is unable to slide freely on the sliders ….
Well worth keeping the sliders well lubricated or clean…. In Essex We have an Expert on all MX5 problems, He suggested that my problem might not be Callipers But the sliders ! He was right … Bless him for his expert knowledge of MX5 illnesses, “ Bulphan Service stn “ ALLAN
He is very busy so you will have to book up for his attention, I Can recommend his work 100%. Regards from Ray and Sue. Essex…

I am beggining to think that pressure washing wheels causes a lot of problems with MX5 brakes. The seals on calipers and sliders do not withstand the spray.
Servicing the sliders should also be part of the pad change procedure.

1 Like

Should be a must as an annual service item Ray. :+1: I know it isn’t on most service schedules, keep em lubed especially on older MX-5’s

1 Like

Thats what Copper high temperature grease is for !!!

1 Like

100% correct, You might be right about the pressure washing too. It is a very forceful ( penetrating ) attack on brake systems that are NOT water tight With gaps where water can get in and settle, This could quite conceivably attack the smooth running of the ‘ sliders ‘ etc, rust build up etc where the eye cannot see …. Very good point of reply. Thanks …Take care and happy motoring, Ray from Essex

Yes, I now realise this ! I bet there’s quite a few who don’t realise that the Calliper ‘sliders’ need regular attention and greasing up etc, What a difference it has made to my particular car. I can now see that the problem must have been taking place for a while Now that the car runs so much better having had a brake service, Well recommended …too
Take care you guys and girls … bless you all :heart::man::woman_white_haired:

This was my issue and I thought that the sliders were the problem.
Turns out the caliper bores were at fault

1 Like

I Cannot help specifically with your particular problem. But just a question Did you hit any particularly deep Pot Hole’s just prior to getting this judder?

Did the judder start after driving off one morning or did the judder start after hitting such a pot hole ? Just curious, I’m wondering if a big hit on a pot hole could send something out of line Such. As damage to the rack or a suspension component ? I’m just guessing …
Trying to be helpful … If you were in Essex I could recommend a guy who would put his finger on the problem even with a blindfold on, yes he’s that good …. Best regards. Hope you get that annoying shudder sorted … Ray from Essex…. Just an afterthought Have you checked each tyre for a “ carbuncle “ etc…a tyre carbuncle sometimes only presents itself at certain speeds …. At slower speeds it can be too slight to notice, worth a check over the entire circumference of each tyre …

1 Like

Hi Ray,

Thanks for your reply.
If you open the post it does show the solution that sorted it👍🏻

1 Like

Red rubber grease👍
not copper grease👎

5 Likes

I have been using Mintex ‘Cera-Tec’ lubricating grease for any brake work that i have done on our vehicles over the last couple of years.

It is a non metalic, high temperature, fairly viscous grease. I think it is quite inert being silcon based.
not had any problems so far.

I also use Castrol Red Rubber grease when installing new seals etc.

2 Likes

I use the Proslip kit, Has the greases needed for a brake service.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07886FP12/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

Are these slider pins known to be a common problem on the mx5? I had the complete opposite issue, my pins had so much play in them, that I could hear the calipers chattering over bumpy roads.

When I took them
Out for a look, the lower set didn’t have the rubber boots on them that they are supposed to have about half way along.

I purchased a fresh set, lubricated and refitted. All has been fine since.

1 Like

Why use Rubber grease on a metal pin in a metal housing that sees high temperature.
The rubber boots don’t need grease on the slider pins.

1 Like

Not the outer rubber boot, the inner one. I also use high temperature silicone grease.

1 Like

MX5 NC Workshop manual - Rubber grease specified on the pins - copper grease will likely gum things up. Like the previous post by AST, Proslip has the relevant greases for pins, clips and rear of pads - I clean the brakes and re-lube annually but the pins have always been free moving since I started using this grease kit.

1 Like

The pins have rubber sleeves around them to prevent debris and water ingress, hence the rubber grease. Using other types of grease can degrade the sleeves.

1 Like

I wonder if there are differences with NA/NB NC ND and we are all talking about different models ?
I am sure I have metal to metal on some of my NA slider pins (Steel to Cast Iron )
I would not use copper grease against an alloy caliper.
I agree that normal grease onto a rubber sleeve is not the right way of doing things due to it causing the rubber to perish.

1 Like

For the cost of a new set of Callipers every couple of years ( for peace of mind ) etc, Just replace them ! Approx £ 130
Same with Batteries, If you don’t use the car the batteries will die !!

You can either drive 15/20 miles a day to keep the batteries charged up
( £15 ) quid a week ! At £8 a gallon Or buy a new battery every 12 months ( £114 )
Anyone good at sums ?

Or buy a smart charger?

2 Likes