Brakes binding?

I think I have a slight issue with brakes binding on, seems to be for the first few miles after releasing the handbrake. Is this a common MX5 issue? I owned a Mazda 323 years ago and had no end of brake trouble. Does it just need a dose of grease on the pistons, if so how much would a garage charge? I’m no mechanic!

1. My model of MX-5 is: NC
  2. I’m based near: Nottingham
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Brakes

Sounds like they need a service. A strip down, grease the slide pins and check the caliper pistons a general clean up.

When did you last have them serviced?

NC calipers are known for sticking, to keep them operating smoothly they do need regular maintenance.

Thanks Mick! I’ve never had them serviced, but I’ve only owned the car for a couple of months. Problem has become worse recently.

I replaced my front offside caliper yesterday, caliper was £45 and 24hr delivery off e-bay (brake fluid free, my personal stock) 45min start to finish.
So if a garage quotes you one and a half hours labour the price of a caliper and fluid…do your maths, don’t get ripped off.

The slider pins on every MX5 I’ve owned have needed regular greasing to keep the brakes from dragging slightly or making weird creaking noises

Unless it’s a must for safety (obs) don’t use the hand brake to hold the car for long periods eg overnight especially if the car is being put away wet, and possibly for a few days.
I got 14 years and around 90000 odd miles out of our 2002 Sport’s rear “big brake” clampers…never used them other than hill starts etc …but…at odd intervals click them up at dry speeds against the loud pedal a few times for a few hundred yards to keep them interested.
Clearly…if required use both handbrake & 1st gear on dodgy steep inclines if parking.
Only fitted 2nd set to the 146,000 miles Mk1 2 years back. It being an auto…got a good brake anyway.
Never use it’s handbrake much at all…you can “hold” it on a hill on tick-over after all…

Cheers Carl, I’ll see if I can get this done

Thanks, I have already been leaving it in gear rather than handbrake as it’s not my daily driver, but good to have this confirmed!

Good advice, thanks!