Brown Mohair roof refurb

1. My model of MX-5 is: 2008 Niseko Mk3
  2. I’m based near: Oxford/Swindon
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Restoring brown mohair soft top

Hello, I just picked up a 2008 Niseko that has the brown interior and soft top. The car is immaculate with the exception of the weathered and algae spots. I’m wondering if anyone has had any success cleaning an dying the brown top? If so, what products did you use?

I’m thinking of getting it replaced with the mx5parts mohair replacement. I’d like to change to a black top but the price difference between black and brown is £250 so thinking brown might be the way forward. Has anyone had the brown top from mx5parts? Is it the same colour?

Cheers
Ben

I’ve re stained and re proofed the Mini brown mohair using the relevant Renovo products.

1 Like

It’s worth trying to at least clean the existing top before you go out and buy a replacement if it’s not damaged or otherwise in poor condition.
The best solution for removing algae or lichen growth is Milton solution dilution as per the recommendations on the bottle. Do a small area at a time spraying the solution on, leave it for a while then scrub gently with a softish nail brush. This should remove most of the stain. Once you have done the whole roof you need to thoroughly wash the roof with a mild detergent, again using the soft brush or if you have one the small attachment on a carpet cleaner works well. Rinse the roof thoroughly, again the carpet cleaner is good or a jet wash on min power from about 1m away, until all the dirt and debris is removed. Use a microfibre cloth or towel to remove as much of the moisture as possible, there should be no dirt on the cloth at this stage. Leave it to dry in the sun. If you need to re proof then use a clear proofer, you may need to make farther enquiries which is clear and which has some dye as you have a brown hood. The mainstream car hood re proofers should all be ok.

2 Likes

I’ve just ordered some. I’ll give it a go when it arrives. Thanks!

Thanks. I tried the Milton and carpet cleaner tonight. It definitely helped but some of the tougher bedded in algae is still there but turned white (I’m guessing it killed it). I’ve ordered some renovo cleaner and brown colour restorer. Gunna give them a go and see if I can clear the rest and get some colour back.

as Alben says it’s best to use the cleaner as well, the reviver I used was a dark brown.

1 Like

I have ordered these exact 3 so that’s great. Thank you!

ah, I thought you’d go for light brown!

It was a success. Milton Fluid and a toothbrush, followed by Renovo Fabric soft top cleaner. Allowed to dry and repeated both steps. Then waited until dry and applied the Renovo Soft top reviver dark brown.

2 Likes