Bug removal?

1. My model of MX-5 is: 2.0 Sport Nav nd
  2. I’m based near: Lichfield
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: bug removal

What is the most efficient method of removing stubborn bug marks/stains from the plastic nose section?

Cheers,

Andy

Soap and water, stubborn marks Autoglym super resin polish then re wax.:+1:

2 Likes

Hi Andy… Soak in some WD40 or a if not having that, a tar remover product… Leave for about 10 minutes, wipe off, then polish with something like Autoglym Super Resin Polish…
Dead bugs can eat into paint like bird droppings so are always best cleaned off sooner rather than later… :slight_smile:
Rob

1 Like

Good question! I find that if the car (including the front plastic section) is polished & sealed then bugs are easily removed with nothing more than a damp cloth. I try to keep on top of the problem by removing as soon as I see them. I’m sure that the various manufacturers sell special potions for this job but I doubt that they are necessary.

2 Likes

Hi Rob, is GT85 ok?

That should be fine…
Rob

Warm water, and patience! :smiley: Nothing that will damage the polish/paint! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Lots of bug remover sprays out there, they dissolve the protein of the splat.

Lots of warm water and avoid scrubbing as you will scratch the paint.

Also get some protection on the paint, wax or sealant, then everything comes off easier.

3 Likes

Cheers folks! :sunglasses:

If you aren’t washing the car and just want to remove the bugs, place a piece of wet kitchen roll on the area, leave for ten minutes and it will just wipe off very easily. Works for bird poo too!

3 Likes

Polish with Harley Wax then bugs are removed easily.

1 Like

This is a very good way - a little washing up liquid helps.

I’ve tried the proprietary bug removers like Gtechniq and pretty unimpressed.

A microfibre dripping wet with warm car shampoo, place the cloth on the splat and leave it for a while to soften the mark before wiping away is probably the kindest way to do it - although obviously not possible on sheer vertical surfaces. You can use bug and tar remover chemicals too (stuff like ObliTARate or TarDis), if you have them. If it’s really bad, you can clay then polish but that’s probably overkill.

I’ve been very unimpressed with many of the modern bug removers but I’ve started using Kenotek anti-insect spray and it’s been excellent. Whatever’s in it does a great job of dissolving the dried on bugs with no effort. Definitely recommended by me.