Build info - is there a central repository?

1. My model of MX-5 is: NC Venture Edition
  2. I’m based near: Torquay
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Brakes

One problem with having a “Special Edition” is that without referring back to the car al the time, you don’t necessarily know what equipment is fitted to you car. I have a 2012 Venture Edition NC and have to fix a partially seized front brake caliper, which is actually a relatively simple task apart from not knowing in advance f the strip down what discs, pads, service kit that I actually need to buy. Is there a body, perhaps Mazda themselves which I could apply to to get a build list for my car and therefore at lest know what was fitted in the first instance?

Thanks in advance,
Fin

Hi Fin, from my understanding the the Special editions of the NC only had mostly cosmetic changes so things like your brakes should be as STD, good info here http://www.roadster.blog/2014/03/uk-mx-5-model-guide.html

hope this in some way helps

Kev

1 Like

All NC’s have the same brakes pads & discs so no fitment worries there. As for calipers, same again, buy a kit for refurb or its easier to buy a refurbished genuine Mazda caliper complete and fit that.
I’m in the process of reassembling my brakes, fitting new pads purchased from Euro car parts, check fitment details before ordering. Other outlets like mx5parts/Autolink available I went with Brembo this time. If you want genuine then dealer or mx5parts are your go to.

2 Likes

Thank you for your replies. Very helpful.
Here is the data from the roadster.blog site on my variant:

2.0i Venture Coupe

Special Edition - Radiant Ebony, Crystal White Pearl, Metropolitan Grey
6-speed, 17" alloy wheels, LSD, Bilstein suspension, brown heated leather seats with grey stitching and matching door trim, stainless scuff plates, climate control, alloy pedals, piano black dash trim, cruise control, Venture exterior badges, front foglights, Brilliant Black rollbar trim, touchscreen satellite navigation.

Oddly, my V5 has the model listed as NC1, though it’s obviously NC2 (facelift) as the shape of factory fitted front fog lamps is a dead giveaway.

Thank you Mick AP, this was exactly the job I am needing to do (refurb not replace), how are you finding the brembo parts, did you swap out the pads at the same time?

Cheers,
Fin

I can’t tell how the Brembo (pads only) are fairing, car is still on axle stands and sorned. Pads are still in the boxes, waiting for paint to dry (caliper paint) before reassembly. I didn’t need discs as the brakes were only changed around 15k miles ago by one of the previous owners. I found one pad (rear) to be breaking up, brand unknown.
In the past I’ve found Mazda genuine pads & discs to be very good and hard wearing and also Ferodo sets good also. Those are at premium prices now, you get what you pay for.
Plenty of suggestions will come your way on brand of brakes to fit, from the value for money complete aftermarket set from mx5parts to genuine Mazda OEM brakes to stuff in-between. Just beware of ebay/Amazon unknowns, yep you could hit on some good stuff or not so, I stick with known suppliers.

Edit…
Check if you’ve got a sticky caliper or it could be the slide pins, lack of grease. Way to go with Mazda brakes, service every year, strip clean, lube.:+1:

1 Like

Hi Again Fin, don’t worry about the Vin on the v5 starting with NC1, all mk3’s start with NC1 "NC1 NC2 NC2 are not an official designations, they are a made up term that people use to identify the different models. Also Mk3 3.5 and 3.75. again all Vin start with NC1 :slight_smile:

Kev

2 Likes

Sometimes the V5 can say things like 4 seater, it did on my last NC’s V5.:joy:

2 Likes

My Eunos is insured as an MX5 Gleneagles, but the V5 is amazingly bob on.

Not strictly true, later NC VIN’s start NCA, something to do with an emission standard change from memory. But yes NC1, NC2 etc is just internet reference.

2 Likes

Thanks for that that Robbie you are always the great source of truth :pray:

1 Like