Buying an MX5 m2 is this Terminal?

A solid auto will be way more fun than a rotten manual.

3 Likes

I have owned a 1.6 auto and found it a lot of fun :+1: top end speed, ok, not as good as the slightly higher power manual, but remember itā€™s got the exact same underpinnings as the manual version :+1:the one in the OC advert looks excellent value and is exactly what youā€™d expect from a members car! Itā€™s got to be worth a look, if I had somewhere to put it. Iā€™d be very interested myself.
Barrie

Now this looks beautiful!!

Hmmm,
Just as a final comment from me.
Yes it does look nice and in a beautiful setting, (which is the whole point to draw you in).
But you are now looking at double the money to which I believed you wanted to spendā€¦
See he is willing to put 12 months MOT for the full asking price, really!
That seller has NO feedback as a ā€œSellerā€, again just be careful. :+1:
Again you need to ask lots of questions about the service history and what repairs have been made.
Just an opinion, but as you have said ā€œyou donā€™t know what you are looking atā€.
So best advice get someone who does know, before you commit.
Good luck with your purchase in due course. :slightly_smiling_face:

TBH I think this is out of my budget slightly and is too pristine. Its more of a show car. Iā€™ve my 9 Yr old daughter (and wife) and I donā€™t want to be a pain to them by not having fun and not allowing sweets and crips etc. Iā€™m not too OCD but I have my moments. Itā€™s not fair. Itā€™s about the journey and having fun too. I dont have a garage at the moment so Iā€™ll only be worrying its rotting on my drive. That roof is beautiful but without a garage!. I though a cover would suffice but I believe itā€™s a no no. Iā€™m probably better off waiting for a MK1 (which I like) that is not rusty and mechanically sound but needs some tlcā€¦ I can do plugs and filter and potch myself. I can do it up over the coning years, and and hand it over to my daughter (if she wants it!!) have a rip roaring laugh in it and not worry about spilling my 10 piece bucket and fries if I did!. Sounds a more sensible option! As I said it about having fun, a project meeting new friends through the club. You were also right about the ebay feedback and seller details. Missed that one on my excitement. I may start stalking 90 year old driving MK1 and follow them home and make them an offerā€‹:joy::joy::joy:,. Iā€™m sure some more will come on the market. Keep an eye out for me. X

The car wonā€™t necessarily rot on the driveway; many UK garages are poorly ventilated, and cars rust away in those. On the drive, the car has circulating air.

3 Likes

That eBay 5 does look nice but strange it has put on 100km + with a 14 year gap in motā€™s or am i missing something :neutral_face:

Yes I checked that one out, strange MOT history.

I told the OP if you look closely it has rust on the sills (had a previous repair me thinks) and a ding in the bonnet. Apart from that it looks good.

Iā€™m betting it was on a private plate, and has now been put back on the original, or a date related one.

I doubt this is a cunning ploy to hide the MOT history, but all the same it would be nice to knowā€¦

I changed my plate on the Mk2 import, switched it to the Mk3. They returned the original age related plate to the Mk2 and all was well. That was until I checked out the MOT history on the Mk3 a few weeks later. With it now having the plate transferred over from the Mk2 they had somehow transferred some of the Mk2ā€™s MOT history. Now it said my Mk3 had itā€™s first MOT in 2008 and it failed on not having a rear fog light. My Mk3 is a 2007 model so it didnā€™t even need an MOT in 2008. :roll_eyes:
I fired an email off explaining what they had done, it was corrected. The V5 though showed the car as a 4 seater when I sold it on, check for mistakes :rofl:

I have had private plates for a while and moved them between a few cars (54 plate Polo > 56 Plate MX-5 > 17 Plate MX-5) with no issues on MOT histories but maybe I have just been luckyā€¦

Same here, private plate transfers always flowed over to motā€™s. My guess it went abroad then came back again.

I bought a T reg mk2 for Ā£310. I knew the sills were mentioned on the last couple of MOTs, same on the last one I had too but I have been quoted Ā£300 a side to replace the part panel as the arch has started to rust too. No big deal. I had the chassis rails done professionally for Ā£550, I knew these looked dodgy when I bought the car with 8 months MOT. Had the timing belt and water pump replaced on the last service. Wheels completely refurbed. Mohair hood is only 4 years old. !Looks pretty good now, not the best but I only paid a small amount of money. You shouldnā€™t worry about having the work done, but you need to pay a low price in the first place. They are lovely little cars, just need TLC. I think they are worth itā€¦

2 Likes

Have you seen the silver low mileage MK2 on here for Ā£2,300 sills done I think by mx5parts ? Maybe worth a look.

I only paid Ā£200 for mine and the rear wings and sills were ok .but I will have to do the front chassis rails and it only has 52,000 miles on clock.
I will do the work myself but to if you are not a competent welder walk away.

Look at this on eBay