Buying an NC MX5

Hi everyone,

I’m looking at buying my first MX5. I’m looking to an NC as my entry into rear wheel drive (and manual too XD) - however, I want to be able to sell it relatively easily and without much of a loss within 12 months as I think I’ll eventually move onto a mk2 / mk1 once I’m more comfortable with Miatas.

What kind of price range should I look at for an NC? I’ve seen Autotrader listings at between 3500-4500, all with not the greatest MOT history (body corrosion usually despite low mileage). 4500+ range seems to have great MOT history and in good spec, is this a good amount to spend on an MX5 NC or should I not bother and just stick with cheaper options?

Thanks in advance!

If I was in your position I would look for an “NC 3.5” ……the result of Mazda’s revision and facelift of the NC in 2009. They facelifted again in 2013 when the NC 3.75 was released. ( I think those dates are correct…. I’d be grateful if someone would correct me if I’m wrong).

There were significant changes made for the NC3.5 including changes to the 2.0l engine mechanicals, and also change to the ride height.
(lowered slightly)

Enjoy the search- there are some great value cars out there if you can find one!

Ive just sold my 2009 (59), 58k miles, No corrosion on MOT history, 3 owners, Some mods (coilovers, race box) Black PRHT, 2.0 sport tech. It went for 7,200 from autotrader within 4 days

A lot of MX-5’s are low mileage cars and they can have a higher than average number of owners due to people running them for one or two summer seasons only. They may then sit over winter in an unventilated garage or under a car cover, the dampness through this cycle will start and accelerate corrosion on the out of sight bits.

Always buy on condition and a comprehensive service history, get a good look under the car, ideally with someone who knows their way round and the difference between surface and structural corrosion issues.

NC subframes seem to be a weak point, I am aware of a number of 10 - 12 year old NC’s that require these to be replaced to keep the car on the road.

1 Like

Thanks - I’ll be sure to look for 2009 and later!

My wife owns 2010 NC folding hard top PHRT 2 litre Miyako in aluminium silver (500 produced), She has owned the car since 2014 and I can honestly say it has been an absolutely brilliant car. Black leather seats with red stitching, air con, 17” alloy wheels.
40,200 miles, full Mazda service history, garaged each winter in a heated, insulated garage. Always starts first time in Spring. Great price @ £6995. Lovely condition, available end of March 2024. Only selling because we are buying another MX5! Car is in the East Riding of Yorkshire near Brough.
There are a couple of photos on the current MX5 gallery (in the Dolomites last Summer) .
Happy to email more photos if you are interested.

1 Like

That’s really helpful thanks for letting me know - it seems it’s worth spending the extra money on a good example then.

Thanks for the offer - but unfortunately I’m down in Hertforsdhire. And more importantly, I’m looking to buy a car in the next couple of weeks.

Edit…

I spotted one this week (well stood right next to it) @£9,995, a 61 plate PRHT Sport Tech in dark blue, low mileage.

Edit…

Looks like they sold it :-1:

If this had come up when I was looking I’d definitely have come to see it.

No problem, timing is everything as they say! Our next MX5 should be available at the end of March but no confirmation yet. We have a road trip planned & booked but would rather have two available rather than no car at all!

I understand. If you don’t manage to find the right car, message me mid-March if you like.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.