Buying and fitting an aftermarket Stereo in my Mark 3(NC) from Halfords

I live near Bognor Regis and I just wanted to make people aware of the costs involved in getting a single DIN unit fitted my 2008 Mk3

Before Lock down I went in and ordered the fitting kit I didnt have to pay there and then and thats a good thing as I’ve only just arranged to get a unit fitted now in July… It has cost quite a bit more than I thought

1. The unit was on special offer for £87.00 Single DIN Sony reduced by about £50
    All I needed was a link to my phone by BT. I do EVERYTHING on my phone so no need for DAB or carplay. just so long as I can hand free call and Spotify. Basically all I needed was an AMP. Good speakers and BOSE unit are wasted on my aging dodgy hearing:))

2. The fitting Kit was £118 - That was a suprise

3. The price to have them fit it was £35 for up to a couple of hours work whch I think is reasonable.

The whole deal came out to £240.00.
Apparently we dont get any discount as club members. I handed over my owners club card and it was received with blank looks! The team at Halfords were very helpful

If anyone thinks I’m doing this all wrong please let me know as its being fitted Friday 24th July.

Howard, heres the link to the voucher!

https://forum.mx5oc.co.uk/t/halfords-discount-2019-2020/101882
The fitting kit involves a new fascia, wiring harness adapter, steering wheel control harness and if Bose system, a bit more parts. Not too bad if that’s the case.
Barrie

1 Like

The Halfords discount voucher available via the members section in this forum explicitly excludes “technology products”.

What is the spec of your car? I ask as my 2009 Sport Tech has BOSE and bluetooth (for phone calls) built in and I use a £13 bluetooth receiver (with a £5 low profile cigarette to USB adapter) which connects via the AUX and works for playing music and internet streaming from the same phone.

I get by with FM from the built-in BOSE unit and have never loaded a CD.

I guess it comes back to what you require and how sexy (and therefore expensive) you want it to be?

1 Like

interesting about the ‘tech’ not being discounted? Bought my pioneer unit from them last year and got the discount. Must have changed?
Barrie

1 Like

I think it depends upon the grumpiness (or otherwise) of the Halfords personnel on the day, Barrie :wink:
I vaguely recall a poster in the forum being denied club discount on a standalone satnav purchase.

1 Like

I was refused discount on a dash cam as it’s a technology product.

1 Like

Hi Barry, Thanks for the link. I’ll print it down and see what happens when I rock up. Nothing to lose either way.

I have whatever the standard system is in my basic model its a 2008 NC with no aircon but in brilliant condition with 17K miles with only one owner.

I’m over 60 so not very sexy these days:)).

1 Like

Howard, I too am well over 60 and not sexy, come to think of it, I wasn’t when I was younger either!! :sweat_smile::sweat_smile: Good luck with voucher, as jingars said, it could depend on the guy serving on the day!
Barrie

1 Like

Just as an alternative, I use my phone in the car (a Mk1) and fitted a new stereo with digital radio and phone link. However when the hood is down, which is most of the time, it is still rubbish - especially using the phone hands free and the CD is not playable as it skips - so I was using music streaming from my phone which was better.

I have instead started using ear buds (mine are Sony and very comfortable - but DO NOT try skiing with them - you can lose them!) - which connect to my phone. I listen to music and when I have been on the phone, it was apparently a lot better for the other person as the background noise was reduced.

In all, the sound is great, but you are a bit in a bubble, so I am not sure about the safety of them as you do not hear outside noises as clearly as listening to a regular stereo. However I do realise that this is not for everyone. I am also only in my mid 50’s, so still young…

1 Like

Thank you for all the help and advise I’ll post how I get on next week.

Take care all and have a good weekend

2 Likes

Halfords didn’t do the Pioneer unit I wanted.

Halfords will also do a price match

Hiya, I guess its the ‘inclusive’ fitted price that matters too! :+1: would an audio shop do the complete swap for much less? I doubt it. :thinking:
Barrie

You may well ask. What happened to Howard. Did he fall off the edge of the planet or pop his clogs? Well here’s the update… turned up on fitting day to be told it was cancelled as the fitter had covid. So I did some research and worked out I could fit an aux socket pretty easily. So ordered a kit. So I cancelled off Halfords who, frankly seemed quite relieved. Well the aux it went into the ether. So I decided to get one of those £15 Bluetooth FM converters. It’s amazing really happy that I only spent £15 and not £240! Finally the aux kit showed up and if I feel motivated I’ll fit but a great result. Many thanks for all suggestions that you gave me. I got there in the end!!

2 Likes

What Bluetooth converter did you buy?

Hi FMO.

I thought I had responded to you but then I found a load of rejection messages in my spam file so I hope you get it this time. It still works perfectly heres the link
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07K8MDYW8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If the link doesnt work try this

I bought similar to this for £6 off eBay for my mk2 .
Connects straight away and Plays Spotify really well, it also plays hands free phone calls thru the speakers…brilliant :+1:t3::+1:t3::+1:t3:

2 Likes

I like that Geoff :+1:
Must be the red n black colour, very nice :nerd_face:
Barrie

2 Likes

Indeed, distinctly smarter than the Plain black one I have. Presumably, the r/h usb port will connect to an aux-in plug for direct transmission, as mine does?

The problem with mine though, is that it is a very tight fit to pug directly into the power socket of my NC2.

This one looks as though it may not fit at all but do you have a mate, @bally2 with an NC2??

It would be great to know if this fits…

1 Like

Ha! :rofl: yes he does. Unfortunately, he’s in Tier 3 and I might be there by the weekend! I did think the same though, on the NC the socket doesn’t leave a lot of room around it. I have one of those tiny, flush fitting USB chargers in my socket, you can even close the flap over it!
Barrie

1 Like