Buying from the U.S

Hi,

Has anyone had experience of buying parts from the States?

I have had a suspension part on order from Mazda with a highly reputable supplier for at least 6 months and am getting somewhat desperate.

Cheers

Chris S

Have you spoke to the supplier?
Shipping wise you will need to pay Duty and Vat once it arrives, but unless it is in some silly cheep groupage shipping situation, there should be no extraordinary delays.
If it is a “highly reputable supplier” based in California then then, in my experience, they have a good history of very over enthusiastic delivery promises.

I’ve brought MX5 parts from Rock Auto (Wisconsin). The website price quote included UK shipping and duty/VAT. I’ve never had to pay anything more on top, for orders around £100. Delivery times depend on the service paid for, which includes a 2 day service, but the standard (cheapest) rate seems to take 5-10 working days. I don’t thnk the parts ship from their warehouse, but comes from their suppliers, wherever they are.

I bought stuff from the US many times. Pre and post brexit - I think pre was worse. Most times you get to pay 12-15 quid for whoever is the carrier that will fill the import forms. This is in addition to vat and if over 135 you have to pay customs tax as well. Postage within the USA is rubbish, often things get lost or damaged. I always had things send via air so transit over to the UK was fairly quick.

I generally have to wait over a week to get cleared by customs. However last year I bought some parts on a Monday. The carrier used was UPS, they collected on Tuesday, i got sent the paperwork by email on Wednesday with all the fees to pay via the internet while the parcel was still in the air in transit. By Friday lunchtime it was on my desk.

I think your issue is a supplier issue

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.