Buying tyres off the car

Today I was in a garage that sells and fits new tyres as well as does repairs etc. While waiting for a puncture on my Quashqai to be repaired a young guy came into the sales office and asked how much it would cost to have four new tyres fitted to four brand new rims for a land rover he had. They were a bit huffy with him and said we don’t fit tyres to wheel rims off cars. I was quite surprised at this. Does any one know why they wouldn’t fit new tyres to new rims. They lost a four wheel sale because of their stance. The strange thing is that about five years ago I took the four wheels off my Roadster in to have the tyres removed so I could refurbish the rims and then refitt them after I had refurbished them. They were only too pleased to do it for me then and were very carefull not to scratch or damage them. The owners have not changed in the last five years.

I always take my wheels down loose and never have an issue. They don’t charge any less and it saves them the aggravation of removing and refittimg plus you don’t get your sills or chassis rails folded in by jack happy Jim or whoever they have on tyres…

I can’t understand why they refused to do that. Had tyres fitted to my MX-5 wheels twice whilst off the car, the exact same scenario, new wheels purchased without tyres

Our local places won’t fit tyres that you supply to wheels you supply.

They will fit tyres bought from them to loose wheels but it does state clearly on the invoice that the tyres were fitted to loose wheels.

Maybe it’s so that, if the tyres are directional and you put them on backwards, (causing aquaplaning in the wet) they don’t get blamed.

1 Like

Couldn’t prove it was the fitter as we only noticed months later but we’re pretty sure that’s why my Mothers’ vehicle now has a squashed sill.

1 Like

I did see a report recently of a tyre fitter refusing to fit 215 profile tyres on an ND as OEM fitment is 205 profile.

Maybe there is a regulatory or insurance reason. I would imagine that their public liabilty insurance stipulates that they must fit tyres of sizes specified by the vehicle manufacturer to be covered by the policy.

There are many reasons people don’t want to fit tyres to loose rims, the main one being is that they have had problems from customers before.

I am beginning to think that this is probably the answer.

I too have come across this, and I think that’s the explanation

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.