Bye bye NC, hello ND

This is my car after having G-tech Ceramic coat applied (9 year warranty!)
The car looked amazing. The detailer had the car almost a week.

Unfortunately since then a Lorry decided to shed a load of stones on the front of the car so I had to have it painted. Then I realised what a pig of a colour Soul Red is to match (3 stage pearl)

6 Likes

The finish looks amazing, beautiful car and such a shame about the accident? Will you go back and have the painted areas redone with the ceramic? One of the reasons I got mine fully resprayed was the colour match? Aluminium metallic, apparently another difficult colour match :confused:

Barrie

1 Like

Hi Barrie,
As previously very well explained by ckyliu I went for the very best Ceramic coat at a very experienced Detailer which cost almost 1k. The car when I bought it had lots of minor scratches & swirls, especially on the Black roof which he fixed completely.
The accident repair cost me £650 excess because I took it to the Bodyshop of my choice, they are very good but still had a nightmare matching the colour.
So I will not be spending any more money on the car!
In my opinion if you are spending a lot on a ceramic coat do it on a new car, the prep is much less.
I had our White Type R FK8 done by the same detailer from new & its much easier to keep clean especially the Wheels & Callipers.

1 Like

Looks amazing, I miss my 25AE and I agree about paint matching, my towing eye cover ‘disappeared’ and it too the dealer 3 attempts to get the replacement to the correct colour so that it didn’t stick out like a sore thumb!

3 Likes

Wow, enjoy! I still have my 2007 2Litre Roadster that I bought from new. I just can’t part with it! :grinning:

2 Likes

A Stunning Colour and Spec, you will enjoy!.

Lovely colour, I hope your be happy with it as you was with your old one.

Looks stunning

Yes The ND has Certainly been lifted ( by the manufacturer ) to a new category , It can fairly be called an Iconic Masterpiece… Soul Red is surely it’s definitive colour ,

Now about This new preoccupation with Ceramic. Finish… I use a regular coatIng of Auto Glym “ Extra Gloss Protection Halfords… £12, “
My advice … Put It on after a good coating of Auto Glym wax polish is applied first, The resulting protection and shine would not be a marked difference to a more expensive ‘ceramic‘ job ! Both The polish and protector are very simple to apply,
The trick Is to use the ‘extra gloss protection‘ product Several times. ( after the initial wax polish ) Any residue of rain is then expelled with ease, I’m offering this advice because I must suffer with Compulsive Cleaning Disorder And have become a professor of science at cleaning cars,
I was cleaning the car one day when a Bumble Bee tried to land on my car It did a few somersaults and buzzed off over the end of the bonnet… …

!

1 Like

I agree, It’s a step change from anything Mazda have done before. Here’s mine.

4 Likes

They can only be described with just one word *** STUNNING *** Your one WOW ! Should be on Route Napoleon …

(My personal opinion only) Lower her by 30mm And have 25mm H&R spacers fitted by “ wheels in Motion” Chesham … :heart: Make it look real mean … Also. Perfect …
I recently had the pleasure of having a close up look around a brand new ND outside my house recently. It was a beauty. Black with White leather interior … fully loaded Too… jaw dropping beautiful … …

I drove an NC at BBR as a courtesy car whilst they did some bits in my ND. I was struck by how much better the steering is on the earlier car. Nicer weighting to it and more feedback. I assume because it’s hydraulic rather than electric.
You perhaps wouldn’t notice in isolation but back to back there is a discernible difference and the old car wins.

3 Likes

As an aside the car you presumably part exchanged looked great. I always try to buy one owner cars where possible. A niche car like an MX5 with one enthusiast owner from new would be a nice thing to own at any age.

1 Like

There’s a surprise if ever there was one …A comparison between the NC and the later ND and the NC coming out more favourably… But you should know … having driven both…
But any little detail gripes of the ND are well balanced by the Jaw dropping beauty of the ND against its earlier NC siblings …The NC had its gripes too !

I had my NC roadster for 14 years from new and it was superb. It looked a bit dated by the time it went (May this year in PX - you guys missed a bargain!) with it’s ‘boaty’ appearance but other than that it was excellect. However, the ND is sooo much better in many respects not least the looks. The only thing the NC did better was the steering rack - but that’s marginal. The ND’s is also excellent in the steering department, but maybe only 95% as excellent as the NC’s. In all other respects… the ND WAS the way to go! I LOVE it!

1 Like

I would love a MX5 ND In preference to an NC ( ND’s are super Lovely Models indeed ) Yummy yummy… Colours and shape‘s to ‘Draw you In’ it’s all clever stuff ! And it’s working too…
But hey. A good NC is quite nice in its own skin too,!
You will notice that the Mk1 Mk2 and MK3 had a very long production run All recognisable because of their loose similarity to each other, over those decades.
Will the ND have such a Long production run. Or will it become a clever marketing strategy By changing them each couple of years so that present ND owners have to buy the latest model in order to keep up with changing Trends and shapes ?
A ploy now used by other manufacturers … They put an extra scoop here and an extra curve somewhere else on the latest model, and Hey presto this often entices People To buy the newest one… etc…

The picture comparison with the silver NC outside the showroom and that of the lovely new deep wine red ND speaks a thousand words,

You can get an NC in that nice Red too!

This is my 6th MX5 & by far the favourite, I like the ND from the front but really don’t like the rear!

2 Likes