C1178 Trouble Code? Speed Sensor?

1. My model of MX-5 is: 2008 NC PRHT
  2. I’m based near: Yorkshire
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: _ABS Trouble code

Hi all,

I’ve got a weird ABS fault on my Mk3, basically all is fine when driving, until you hit EITHER exactly 60mph or 70mph (its about a 50/50 split between the 2). Once I hit the speed the ABS light flashes on. Stop the car, kill the ignition and start it up again, about 50% of the time the light is off right away, the rest of the time it goes off as soon as I start rolling and doesn’t come back on until I get to the speed again.

I’ve got myself a bluetooth OBD2 scanner and Torque Pro and run a scan, which comes back with code Chassis C1178. According to Torque thats a ‘grey code’ that the ECU clears itself, but when I click for more info it doesn’t have any available. Its entirely possible I’m not looking int the right part of the app though. I’ve had a quick google but all I seem to see relates to Peugeot ECU faults.

Does anyone have any idea what the code relates to?

According to Autocodes .com :-

Faulty Left Rear ABS Wheel Speed Sensor, Left Rear ABS Wheel Speed Sensor harness is open or shorted Left Rear ABS Wheel Speed Sensor circuit poor electrical connection

Possible fixes,

visually examine the corresponding wiring harness and connectors. Ensure to check for any damaged components and inspect the connector pins for signs of being broken, bent, pushed out, or corroded.

Hope that helps.

1 Like

Thats great, thanks! I had a feeling it might be a wheel sensor, I’ll call Mazda tomorrow and get one ordered!

Thanks

1 Like

The belt and braces approach, lets hope it is not a poor connection or damaged harness :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

From what I’ve researched they can be a pig to get out and will likely damage the sensor so seemed like a new one would be the easiest route.
With it coming on at a specific speed like it does I’m not really sure what the fault could be if its not the sensor!

1 Like