Cabin Filter

Requested a price for the 4th Service of my 2016 MX5 1.5 ND SEL and was told that it included a cabin filter change. I thought that my MX5 did NOT have a cabin filter.

Am I right?

Hmm, I also thought no cabin filter.
However on our Mazda3 (which shares a lot of the tech) there is a cabin filter, hidden behind the glovebox. Except no glovebox in an ND.
I would ask to be shown where it is, and then tell the rest of us!

Yes we to have a 2017 Mazda 3 2.0 Sportnav and it does indeed have a cabin filter behind the glovebox that is much easier to change that earlier Maxda3 Models.

Talking to dealerships can be a bit like talking to a wall, so really hope that someone can tell me for sure

https://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/2016_Mazda_MX-5_Miata_Grand_Touring_2.0L_4_Cyl./air_filter_cabin/replace

2 Likes

Wow, nightmare compared with the Mazda3!

EDIT.
I just remembered, on our Mazda3 last year I needed a mini vac-tube to collect stuff that fell down towards the fan off the top of the filter, when pulling filter out after dealer had omitted the change at the last service.
That video of the ND filter shows the problem beautifully.

Crikey that looks “fun”. No creaks and rattles before replacing filter, not sure about afterwards.

I note that this is an American Model (Grand touring) and the article does indicate that model has a cabin filter.
Got in touch with Mazda Customer Service and they have come back to me and said that my 1.5 ND SEL does not have a cabin filter. That being so, then thank goodness (pollution risk aside!!). Wouldn’t have thought that it would matter anyway when the hood was down.

The hood drains look to be fiddly fun as well , not to mention possible broken filter housing tabs.

What a palaver! It looks like the “filter” is simply a mesh to collect leaf/debris - certainly won’t filter the air!

The Mazda cabin filters are a bit more than a mesh albeit somewhat thin, but certainly nothing like the high quality of the pollen filters on both my old Vauxhalls which were almost as good as an engine air filter.

Note that the Mazda filter claims to be a “cabin” filter and not a “pollen” filter, thus a lower spec.

I’ve noticed in some cars you only get a cabin filter if you have air conditioning. I infer the purpose is to stop dust getting to the evaporator fins because they’re often cold and damp so the dust might stick and block them.

Mine does have air-conditioning. Mostly keep it on Auto and adjust temp as I need.

Some cars only get it??.

Bearing in mind I have been advised by Mazda Customer Services that I don’t have a cabin filter and from what members believe may be the case it is hard to be confident as to what is what.
Especially since any filter may be buried within sill trims, door trims, dash trims, electrics and not straight forward to locate.

How about an NC2 Sport Tech? It’s got aircon, is there a cabin filter lurking anywhere?

I didn’t mean MX-5s specifically. Sorry if I didn’t make that clear. It’s something I spotted in a little Fiat we own; that particular model doesn’t have a cabin air filter unless it has aircon.

Sorry, my mistake Martin. I didn’t read your input properly.