Can't get a piece of the tie rod end out of the hub

mx5 mk1. i’ve taken the power steering rack off to replace. however, i have a problem which is preventing me from putting the new one on. detaching the passenger side tie rod end from the hub was a doddle. no problem whatsoever, used one of these:
jointsplitter19mm
driver’s side tie rod end did not want to come out of the hub. there’s still a piece in it. i tried using the splitter, couldn’t get it out. i used a hammer on it and tried the old fashioned way. it wouldn’t come out. i sliced the top off the tie road end & sliced it underneath so i could drill it out. i’ve done these graphics to help explain. obviously this isn’t the actual tie rod:
tierodend sliced top off
that is the bit i sliced off the top though. so next i had a chunk of the tie rod end in the hub. as i drilled thru, i was still trying to hammer it out at regular intervals. nothing doing. i’ve now drilled right thru it with a 6mm bit. obviously these are again approximations:
drilled 6m hubdriversside
basically, what’s left in the hub is just a cylinder of metal that still doesn’t want to come out. i’ve tried hammering it again. can’t get it out. i figured by the time it was no longer a whole piece of metal, but just a cylinder shape, it wouldn’t have the same cohesion with the hub. however, it still isn’t moving. i’ve put a 6mm screw in the top and tried the splitter again. can’t get it out.

any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

Heat is usually helpful.

Your 6mm hole might allow a junior hacksaw blade or Dremel to cut a slot in that cylinder wall.

But be careful not to nick the hub knuckle and don’t forget which way the taper goes!

Take your time with that slot and don’t risk a hardened blade being trapped in the slot.

The last time I did this was so long ago I can’t even remember what car it was, possibly a Mini, but it took most of an afternoon and following advice I used an Abrafile (and broke a few blades a bit like these) to widen the slot before it went all the way through to the knuckle.

Nowadays cutting that slot might be a lot easier with a TCT grinder tip on a dremel.

1 Like

thank you for loads of great info. yeah we’re definitely on the same page. i made sure while drilling i didn’t nick the inside of the hub as you say. junior hacksaw blade is a great idea. i already have some, as well as a variety of files that are thin enough to go through. i have a dremel-type tool also. thanks for the TC link, will have a look at those. :blush: