Cap rattle?

1. My model of MX-5 is: __kuro 3
  2. I’m based near: __Bradford
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __I have been trying to trace an intermittent rattle / vibration, to eliminate everything I stuffed a cloth between the fuel cap and the chrome lid which may be aftermaket and the rattle seems to have stopped, I could have sworn the noise was from the n/s door but a passenger said it was the o/s door !Help much appreciated.

Rattles can be notoriously difficult to trace due to echoes in a car’s structure. If by doing something you have stopped it then that suggests you’ve found it… until it comes back again :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think IanH has it right.

However in future if you are trying to find a rattle or other noise, give a bat’s-eared passenger an engineer’s stethoscope to play with, moving its nose around will allow it to sniff out precisely which part is the problem.

Having a Y-split to the earbuds from a single tube (on the one I mentioned) allows using it without the sound-box, handy for searching out air leaks and more nebulous noises with simply the tube end. A bit of fish-tank tube can extend it for longer reach.