Car cover (and so on and so forth)

1. My model of MX-5 is: Mk2
  2. I’m based near: Bearsted
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: _car covers

When I bought my Mk2 four weeks ago, I ordered a waterproof car cover from Autocovers. I heard no more. I emailed them and their reply was to the effect that the order should take a fortnight to be completed. I heard no more so another email. Nothing. I’ve just sent another email. Let’s see if this gets responded to. My concern, other than the failed replies, is that I received numerous emails allegedly from UPS to say they had a parcel waiting for me but that as there was a customs charge of £2, I needed to provide my credit card details. I believe this to be a scam so have not paid it. Does this sound right to you? And I wonder why my emails to Autocovers go unanswered. If I hear nothing my next week, I shall telephone._

1 Like

Are Autocovers a business outside the UK?

If yes, and they told you the courier on the order confirmation, then custom duties will be payable

If no then it’s a scam

If you paid in full when you placed your order with Autocovers then there will be nothing more to pay so the UPS email is a scam. I get similar ones purporting to be from this or that courier and sometimes, when I am expecting a parcel to be delivered by courier X, if I get an email purporting to be from X I think, for a moment, that it might be genuine. But it never is. Look at the actual email address that the email is coming from and I bet it will obviously be a spam email.

The customer service you are getting seems unexpectedly poor. Are you sure that your original order really was with Autocovers and not with a site impersonating Autocovers? I suggest trying to speak with them. If you paid by credit card you should be OK.

It is a scam.
:heart:

To cut a long story short, I finally got through to Autocovers and was told by a very helpful sounding young lady that they would look into matters with their postal company, then get back to me. It’s been quiet ever since so still no sign of the car cover.

Looking at their website, it might well have shipped from outside the UK. The UK address given is a registered office address in London (there are over 500 companies registered at the same address). There is also a list of “our shops”, none of them is in the UK.

Whilst there are many scams, and your UPS message sounds like one, I would bear this in mind. It’s not normal to be asked for money to arrange delivery and £2 sounds very low* for a customs charge or even a carrier admin fee. Proceed with care.

*the scammers ask for a small fee to get your credit card details.

is this an outside cover if it is get a fleece cover for underneath it when I took mine off of one of my cars it had micro blisters all over the paintwork

I buy stuff from overseas often (before and post brexit). effectively if you buy stuff in europe you need to make sure you buy the stuff without vat and effectively the courier will fill the forms pay the customs charges and collect the money from you.

minimum charge for the forms is around 12 and whaterver is the vat and import charges is ontop of that

The latest news on this topic. Contrary to being told by Autocovers UK the cover I ordered is UK made from UK materials and after FIVE WEEKS it is currently in China awaiting shipment. Had I known it’s country of origin I would not have placed the order. Really really poor customer relations IMO. Not once have they got back to me keeping me informed of the circumstances.LTBB.

So your delivery notification was an unrelated scam?

I just received an email with this image. Note the letters on the ‘UPS’ logo!

(not clickable - the link behind the image was netfun dot org dot uk - I didn’t click)

I’d be inclined to cancel and request a refund. If there is any trouble ask for a card recharge.

Yes, I believe it was a scam. Mind you, with the five or six weeks wait for my cover to arrive, I trust nobody.

Hi Paul

This is definitely a scam I work with Royal Mail and these scams have been on the go for a while now just delete it I’ve had customers who paid the fee then found that their bank’s were emptied of their money as the had access to their accounts

1 Like

Hi Paul I also bought a cover from this company website makes it look like it’s a uk company but the reality is the covers are shipped from china they will not answer your emails until they know the item has actually shipped search auto covers trustpilot this will tell u all u need to know about company hope this helps

1 Like

Gaza, What a dreadful series of customer reviews. Well they’ve got my money now so I’ll just have to be a bit more patient.

The car cover has finally arrived after TEN WEEKS. Yes it has arrived from China but had I known just how long it would take to arrive, I would have bought one elsewhere. AutoCovers UK - you have been warned.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.