Car insurance renewal

Got my renewal through for my MX5 and it’s double what I was paying last year who are the go to insurance companies for a lightly modified NBFL MX5?

Thanks in advance :slightly_smiling_face:

Shop around. Use the comparison websites.

I used a broker for years for my daily driver. When I got my NB 18 months ago they quoted me nearly £400. I thought that was a bit much so I went onto comparethemarket.com and got myself insured with Aviva for just over £200. That was with no no claims bonus because it’s a second car.

This year Aviva put the price up so I shopped around and insured the car for £146 with One Call Insurance - 1 years no claims, 3500 miles. Never heard of One Call but all the reviews are good.

My broker has lost my business for the daily driver too, a Mazda6, which I sourced myself and more than halved to £230.

As the old saying goes, it pays to shop around.

3 Likes

I have always been treated fairly by LV Insurance. They have covered my ND’s with modifications such as suspension changes and exhaust changes.

I am still with them now albeit just exhaust changes and a multi car policy. :+1:

I was with Admiral some time ago but they didn’t like me having “modifications” and quoted accordingly, hence the move some time ago to LV.

I’m with Greenlight and have what must be one of the most modified NDs in the country, no complaints and adding modifications is easy.

Greenlight were also recommended to me especially if you have or are planning modifications

Adrian Flux, these guys insure even highly modded stuff

Check both Adrian Flux and Lancaster with your Club Membership for discounts.
Call the numbers in their ads in the magazine.
Some reasonable savings on average can be had.

Don’t go near Lancaster, just look at the reviews!

1 Like

The answer will probably vary on driver history, car, mods or not, postcode, and cover options.

Quotemehappy (brand of Aviva) is insuring 3 cars for us just now. £174 for the MX-5 after £40 discount for multi car. Includes legal services and protected NCD.

Hi.
Please feel free to give us a try for insurance if you haven’t done so already.
Regards,
Dan.

Mines is up £20 to £186 fully comp, but that’s before I tell them about the 3 points (SP30)

Ran it through the meerkat site and with the 3 points not declared think I was getting in the £160’s, with the 3 points declared it was £16 more.

Still got till the end of the month to sort it so will do so in the next week or two.

That’s all with 6 years no claims discount - annoying thing was the SP30 was in the company car 74mph on a 60mph road. Hidden speed camera van - apprently it’s legal to hide the vans but not the fixed cameras - I did check. Never even got offered the “speed awareness course” not sure if they do it in Scotland - first speeding offence (that I’ve been caught at) in 25years, oh also got a £100 fine.
To pay the fine you need to send either a cheque (who has a cheque book these days?) or a postal order - which costs you another £12!

Total result, snatch their hands off !!

I’ve used Greenlight in the past for modified and kit cars and found them good to deal with and decent premiums. I’ve never had to claim though and that’s when you find out how good your broker or insurance company is.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.