Car not starting no spark, no crank

1. My model of MX-5 is: __ mx5 mk1
  2. I’m based near: __ Burton Upon Trent
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __
    I’ve gone to start my mx5 and its doesn’t have spark or crank. I know the starter motor works as i have taken it out and checked but there is no power when i turn they key to the signal wire(wire to the solenoid) but ive swapped out the ignition barrel, ecu still no change. Checked all the earths, fuses, and battery voltage. Does anyone know what it could be???

One of our members had the same problem recently and it turned out to be the Crank Angle Sensor.

1 Like

Have you checked the bolt in massive fuse

Is there an aftermarket immobiliser?

Battery terminals?
Is the car completely dead or does it just fail to turn over??
Any lights at all??

1 Like

No there isnt but it started two weeks ago.

Yes because I’ve swapped the fuse out

There’s power getting to everything and battery is fully charged but no power to signal wire on starter motor when I twist the key

Do you hear the solenoid click when you turn the key?
If so, do the lights dim when it clicks?

Did you check for any fault codes?You say it is a MK 1? 1.6 or 1.8? JDM Eunos or UK mx5 version?, What year?.
M-m

It’s a jdm euonos 1.6 mate I didn’t know the diagnostics gave anything helpful

No as the wire to the solenoid gets zero voltage when I turn the key

1 Like

I guess you are 100% that there was no immobiliser? We had exactly the same symptoms with our 1.6 and it turned out to be the induction ring for the imob had dropped through the steering column and was no longer picking up the signal. Looks like you’ve done the usual earth checks etc. Have you pulled the ignition barrel out and checked it’s functioning?

Is there a Black/Blue wire at the back of the ignition switch? Colour may vary depending on exact age of car. If so, does this show 12 volts with the key in the START position?

Yes it does so I presume the wire is damaged somewhere so I’ve gone and re done the wire and it works.

2 Likes