Car not starting when engine is hot!? Help

1. My model of MX-5 is: __1.8 mk2
  2. I’m based near: __newbury
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __

Hi all,
I have an issue withy 1.8 mazda mx5 mk2.
Car starts fine when not driven for a while, but I have trouble restarting the car after even a 20 minute drive. The engine can be very hot and have to typically leave it about 40 minutes before it will start again.
One possibly linked issue is a slight leak in the valve seat. Oil passes through the seal and can burn off, typically going down hill. Maybe this is the issue? I have changed the coil pack, as I thought this was the original issue.
Any ideas would be great!!

1 Like

Crank or cam position sensors!!

Had the same problem; Heat soaks into them and causes them to go awry.

The oil issue you described is unlikely to cause the problem… Though you definitely want to get that sorted!

Cheers Chris, will look into this. Many thanks Dave

You can try artificially cooling the sensor by whatever means you have, eg compressed air, ice pack etc on the otherwise hot engine and see if it allows it to start…

1 Like

Check your temp sensor you will need diagnostic equipment to check this it may show cold even when engine hot

1 Like

Good point.
A hot engine won’t want to start with a rich mixture but then a hot engine won’t want to run properly with a rich mixture either.
Does it run OK when warm??

look to the rear of the cam box if there is a sensor there it is faulty and is telling the ECU falsely that the engine is overheating it may not run evenly when hot.
The last time i purchased one it cost £11-00 but that was for my MK1 might be worth a try

Hi All,
Thanks for your tips. Will try what’s been suggested and let you know how I get on.
Thanks Dave

2 Likes

Does it turn over and not start, or does it not turn over. My 2000 MK2 1.8 developed an intermittent hot no start where nothing happened when I turned the key, just the warning lights on the dash. I thought it might be the immobiliser but turned out to be the starter motor. I think the solenoid can develop a hot fail condition. Replacing the starter fixed it.

2 Likes

I had the same issue with a Mark 2 2000. It would fail to start if you left it idle for a specific period of time, longer than filling with petrol but shorter than getting a full shop.
I must warn you it worsened and graduated to suddenly stopping/stalling while actually being driven (usually in heavy city traffic on hot/warm days).
Again after a 20-30min rest it started up.
I have posted today on a separate thread on this site how 2 garages failed to diagnose/solve the issue.
Following advice here I replaced the cam sensor (£25) a very easy job, needing only a 10mm nut and watching an online tutorial.
So far the car has not stalled. Fingers remain crossed.

3 Likes

My Mk2 displays the same symptoms. Always starts properly when cold. When hot, fails to start unless churned for ages. From what I’ve read it could be any one of a number of sensors and without the all-important diagnostic equipment, I don’t want to keep replacing each one until it’s cured. So it’s now booked into Freelance Mazda in Chatham in ten days time. Let’s leave it to an expert.

I had the same issues and it ended up being the camshaft sensor. I would check this first along with the crankshaft sensor. The sensor breaks down due to the extreme heat. The camshaft sensor was really easy to get to and pretty cheap.

admin edit
MK2 cars, MK2 and facelift seem to suffer issues with the cam sensor and crank sensor where a certain amount of engine cycling is requires to generate an error code and that may not have occured ie. where the issue has happened in the garage overnight. These are the sort of spares that any MK2/MK2.5 owner should have to hand to avoid such problems. Cam sensor, a 5 minute change with a tested known working replacment; Crank sensor, the more likely cause; a little more effort required but better than money spent at a garage that perhaps know little more than you do and still cannot immediately diagnose.