car transporter trailer

needed to hire or borrow a car transporter trailer as having rebuilt my mx5 i need to get it to WIM to have all the allignment set up for track use. 

can anyone local help me out

Hi Mike,

I haven’t got a trailer but my mate was in the same boat a few weeks ago, He needed a trailer to get his car back from where he’d had an off road excursion in a road car and couldn’t get the thing to start. We tried everywhere but it seemed that it coincided with some motor race somewhere and all the places had booked them out for the weekend. He managed to get one for the Tuesday and as we’d been phoning up everybody in Bristol originally we naturally went for the cheapest at 35 quid a day (+6 quid tax). http://www.drplantrepairs.co.uk/trailier-hire.htm. I’m just letting you know so that if no one can help here you don’t have to do legwork that I’ve just finished doing.

One question though, Why are you doing the 230ish mile round trip to Wheels-InMotion rather than the 100ish mile round trip to Powerstation up in Tewksbury? I had my geometry setup there and couldn’t be happier with the service I received (Nothing against WIM, I’ve heard brilliant things about their customer service. It just seems a long way to go from Bristol).

Scotty B.

PS, Surely you want to fit an LSD before getting the geometry setup though. Whistling… LOL.

was looking at WIM as that is where i bought the shocks from and they have been very helpfull in recommending ride height settings and spring rates when i contacted them and also wasn’t aware of powerstation.  did powerstation reset to factory settings or can they adjust/recomend setings for track/fast road use.

as for fitting an lsd the one i was eyeing up is no longer an optionSad but can still have fun with the standard diff fittedBig Smile.  have spent a lot of time and money on this car and not driven it much so am getting impaitent now and want it finished, but hey still not bad as am looking at 4 months for a complete strip down overhaul and rebuild with a few upgrades and mods thrown in.

They said that they could use standard Mazda settings or more track orientated settings if I wanted. They pretty much asked how I would like the car to handle and went from there.

I’m from an era before “Drifting” was the big thing (We didn’t even call it “Power sliding” back then, It was just “showing of to your mates on the way to the pub”), But I’ve always liked my “Toy cars” to be a little tail happy.

So, I had them set the geometry quite tame for the back as I always prefer it when the back end breaks free gradually before the front gets too close to the limit, But out front they set it up for as much grip as they could whilst still keeping it reasonable to drive on a motorway (I read somewhere that if you have a car setup purely for track use it can wander quite badly when going in a straight line) and without scrubbing the tyres to quickly.

The geometry’s not quite setup as a drift car, But it’s about as far as you’d want on a road car (I know that because of this my car won’t be as quick as some along the country lanes, But I’m happy to be the one who’s had the most fun and is still giggling like a school girl despite being second to get to the destination. Big Smile ).

As I said though, I’m very happy with the job they did.

Mike, I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again… Calm it down, Your making the rest of us modders and tweakers look lazy ! Stick Tongue Out

Scotty B.

just for you scotty, trailer and alignment booked for 6th april as per your recomendations.  car coming along nicely got my set of cut slick tyres fitted onto new rims today looking very nice

hopefully be out in it soonClapping hands in the airBig Smile

Which wheels?

WE WANT PICTURES !!!

Stick Tongue Out

Scotty B.

Nice!

I do think that black wheels look good on a green '5.

I think they’d look good on a yellow '5 Wink

Yeah Liz, I think black wheels would look stunning on the yellow peril.

you can both keep your eyes off the wheels are mine, unless you want to swap that lsd scottyBig Smile

Confused

I was saying Liz’s car would look good with black wheels…So are you saying you’d swap your wheels for my LSD? So I could give them to Liz?

That doesn’t seem very fare to me…

Although, I’m sure we could come to some three way swap arangment…

Scotty B.

Hiya scotty, I see you’re on form again, must admit I paused before looking at photo, was wondering what I’d see Wink but you gave me a good chuckle

Definately like the wheels, but think your paint job looks better…now then mike…to quote “whats my fee for driving” Smile