Carapace garage

Has anyone ever used a Carapace garage to store an MX5 or any other car?

Not Iā€¦however:
Intriguing neat solution to a problem Iā€™m glad I do not haveā€¦at 6k incl VAT.!
Blimey. :flushed:

It is a bit expensive and costs considerably more than the car is worth but, as you say, very neat and would suit our circumstances quite well if it works.

I guess its cheaper than building an Oak Garage but if you just want to protect and store your car inside a larger sheltered space then a carcoon would be much cheaper.

2 Likes

Just build a large garage to store one in and have a work area at the same time , money is far better spent that way.
M-m

2 Likes

Yep, it adds value to your house, if you can do it :+1:

I agree, but we donā€™t have the space to build such a structure.

1 Like

Thank you for this suggestion. I didnā€™t realise they did outdoor ones.

I just took a look at the Carcoon. It would probably be great if, for example, you were putting the car away for the winter but we drive ours all year round if it is a nice day so it would probably be a bit of a faff each time we wanted to take it out. We would also struggle to get enough access both sides to zip it up. I will look at it a bit more closely but Iā€™m not sure this is a solution unfortunately. As you say, itā€™s much cheaper.

1 Like

Only if it is delivered by thunderbird 2

There is a carcoon version with a frame inside which isnā€™t really a faff as you just drive in and out of it. They are more suitable for inside spaces though than permanently being used outside I would suspect. I use one inside a warehouse for my mx5 and itā€™s perfect for preserving it in a dry atmosphere. I would suggest you would probably need at least a carport for a carcoon to work but it wasnā€™t clear from your post whether you had any shelter or not.
Edit - Actually i didnt even realise they did an outdoor dedicated one but it does look more of a bother now ive checked it out.
Interested to see what you end up with.

1 Like

Slightly cheaper at Ā£17ā€¦ (you can actually get some like these with a fourth wall drop down door, admittedly the seller is in Italy).

1 Like

First winter gale, itā€™d end up in Norway or Sweden!
Like ā€œcouncil house back garden trampolinesā€ on railway lines!
:zipper_mouth_face:

1 Like

M-m

2 Likes

Or you could be in an affluent area of Yeovil and miss out the railway all togetherā€¦

1 Like

I had a Clarke ā€˜temporaryā€™ garage.

I used it to complete most of my Rocketeer conversion.

Even considering that I had a gravel driveway at the time, it was still easy to erect and fix down.

The order number was CIG81015 and it was plenty big enough.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-cig81015-heavy-duty-instant-garage---da/

2 Likes

Imgur
Imgur
Imgur
Imgur
Imgur

1 Like

And lastly (sorry! :D) I started this the last winter we had proper snow and it was perfectly water and weather proof - I would recommend but obviously it depends on your uses (and it also doesnā€™t look too hot!).

Andrew

2 Likes

Thatā€™s surely more an English gale, Scottish gales tended to be the railway lines on trampolinesā€¦ :smiley:

Actually one Scottish Gale (60-80mph) ripped our car cover off by tearing through the fabric where the straps were sewn on and sent it to the neighbours down the street.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.