Carrying children

My 6 year old gran daughter keeps asking fo a ride in my mk2 mx5 . Does anyone know at what age she can legally ride in my car?

Not aware of any legal age. At 6yrs old I guess she’s out of car seats. You’d probably be fine with some kind of booster seat. That’s what I use to take my 4 1/2 year old foster boy out in my mk2.5. He went to another carer on Friday for the weekend and took a baseball cap with him “for when daddy picks me up with the roof down”. Never too young to enjoy a 5

3 Likes

Here’s a link to a section of the Gov .uk website which might help
Child car seats: the law - GOV.UK :slightly_smiling_face:

My 7 year old granddaughter has had a run in my car.
She needs to use a booster seat as she’s below the required 135cm height to just sit on the seat.

I don’t think there is any age requirement, but suitable booster seats must be used.

remember, if fitting a reverse fitting baby seat the, passenger airbag MUST be disabled.

Just an appropriate booster seat.

1 Like

Parents lend you the childseat she uses in their car, pop it in yours, belt her in job done.

1 Like

Brilliant! :+1: Now why didn’t I think of that! :thinking: :laughing:

The thought of the title “carrying children” in my MX-5 sends me cold.:roll_eyes::grin:

Sorry to sound mean, I’ve seen the carnage after they’ve been in my daily driver. I love them, honestly.:+1::grin:

1 Like

1 Like

Substitute his cap for an MX-5 club baseball cap and that’s just about got it, apart from the ride on grass cutter.:+1::grin:

1 Like

I couldn’t find one in a red car!:+1::joy:

I allowed my first born grandchild in my Mk1 once. Regret showing him which buttons works the pop-up lights and the horn.:dizzy_face:

2 Likes

It’s a bit like making the mistake of telling a child their cat will always land on its feet.

2 Likes

If I remember correctly there is no way of disabling the passenger air bag on the MK2 and early 2.5s. The later 2.5s have isofix.

This was one of reasons I switched to a MK3, isofix and passenger airbag switch. My children love coming out for a drive but fight over the seat.

One of the reasons I’ve had so many MX-5s is my belief that all children should have a convertible in their life. Took both of mine out, in car seat and then on a booster, from when they were still in nappies.

1 Like

My son first went out in my Mk3 at about 15 months old, loves it. Now 3 3/4 and calls it daddy’s broom broom car!