Catalytic Converter stolen

I live in stourbridge, had my catalytic converter cut off my MX5 recently, 2004 plate, hopefully this can be rectified. Can anyone tell me please, if there’s anything I can do to the car to make it hard for the thieves doing it again.

Do a search, there’s some one doing converter shields there’s even a ‘how to fit one’.

In all seriousness, since fitting -30mm springs to my NC, I’ve had to buy a low-profile trolley jack.

I think any potential thieves would struggle to get under it…

1 Like

Probably the best way to avoid it being stolen, as the thieves want easy access and a quick getaway.

1 Like

They won’t do it again, fella. The cats from that era were made with far far more precious metals. Get yourself a modern, emissions compliant replacement, and worry no more as the contents are not worth nicking.

1 Like

Yes, as Jitsuka says, the thieves are after original Mazda cats that have significant scrap value.
If you do a forum search for ‘Stolen Catalytic’, you should find a few informative threads.
Too late to prevent the theft but hopefully just a simple matter of replacing the original cat with an aftermarket replacement and the problem will not recur.

Presuming the thieves are aware it is a new Cat that is not worth stealing? If not they may take it and just throw it away if it is worthless to them. I am not sure if they will be able to tell (other than it being new) when under the car in the middle of the night? Not their problem…

Still getting regular calls/cat orders because of theft and not heard of one case where an aftermarket cat has been taken.
The originals are very distinctive so indiscriminate theft not occurring…at the moment.

5 Likes

I live in Stourbridge too and do think whether its worth just cutting the original off and selling it myself.

A neighbour had his stolen from his older Honda. It was parked right outside his house, just off the main road and was taken at about 2 pm In broad daylight!

I’m thinking of getting my own NB’s OE cat removed and selling it.

That’s reassuring, I recently replaced my mid-pipe and cat and was pleasantly surprised that it was less than £400 fitted

Absolutely! I got ~£800 for the cat from my 04. There are plenty of reputable companies who buy them including this one who bought mine.

https://m.facebook.com/pgmrcouk/

1 Like